On May 6, 2021, Fortnite posted exciting news to their official website that they're starting a weekly event called Fortnite Wild Week. Wild Week emphasizes a specific mechanic in the game each week, to encourage players to use alternate strategies. Week 2 has started on May 13, and it focuses on fishing.
This week starts May 13, 2021 at 9am CST and ends May 20, 2021 at 9am CST. Here is the current schedule for the first four weeks of Fortnite Wild Week.
- Week 1: May 6, 2021 - May 13, 2021
- Week 2: May 13, 2021 - May 20, 2021
- Week 3: May 20, 2021 - June 3, 2021
- Week 4: June 3, 2021 - June 10, 2021
Changes for Fortnite Wild Week 2
As referenced in the video above, Fortnite Wild Week 2 focuses on fishing as much as possible. This can provide a significant advantage over other players, no matter what fish you catch.
Pro Fishing Rod
The Pro Fishing Rod's spawn rate has been dramatically increased. This is an upgraded Fishing Rod of rare rarity that catches bigger fish and rarer weapons. You will find them much more often around the map, especially around areas that have high rates of fishing spots.
Fishing Spots are the spots in rivers, lakes, and ponds that ripple from the fishing swimming around. When you fish in these areas, you can reel in ultra rare fish and weapons, especially when you use a Pro Fishing Rod. These spots will last longer while fishing from them (you'll be able to fish from them more times than normal), and they will be found far more often in all water sources. There is no information from Epic games on whether you'll be more likely to catch fish from these spots (instead of weapons), but they have mentioned that the only weapons you'll reel in will be Rare rarity or better.
Fishing is an underrated Fortnite mechanic. Here are some of the best strategies to use for fishing in this event.
- Fish in ponds and rivers. If you want to fish more but don't want to be in heavily populated areas, try fishing in small ponds like Flopper Pond. Since fishing spots will appear more often, these spots will be excellent areas for peaceful fishing for this week.
- Use the fish! Fish have many benefits, and few players use them enough. They provide the same benefits as other important items, but can be used almost instantly. These benefits include things such as healing, crafting, and even explosions! Believe it or not, it's possible to win a match using only fish.
- Combine fish. Eating a Spicy Fish and a Hopper Fish gives you a tremendous boost to your movement throughout the island. You're able to jump high and far and move around quickly. This can provide you a significant advantage against your enemies that have normal jump height and speed.
That's all you need to know about Fortnite Wild Week 2! If you have any additional tips, feel free to mention them in the comments below!
Did you know we have complete coverage of Fortnite Chapter 2 Season 6? Check out our Comprehensive Fortnite Chapter 2 Season 6 Guide for all the latest tips, guides, leaks, and cosmetics!