Spikesnout machines in Horizon Forbidden West won't pose many issues for players, especially in the later game. To defeat them quickly, though, players can target their Acid Canisters with Acid Arrows to cause a devastating explosion, leading to a quick victory over the machine.
Strengths and Weaknesses
Players can attack machines with different kinds of elemental attacks. Elemental attacks in the game include Fire, Shock, Frost, Plasma, Purgewater, and Acid. The Spikesnout will be weak to damage from Purgewater and Fire attacks. They are strong against damage from Shock attacks.
There are a few different body parts on a Spikesnout, but each one will drop different loot and deal different amounts of damage to the machine when attacked by players. The body parts on a Spikesnout are:
- Acid Canister
- Amplifying Sac
- Damage Dampener Sac
- Stamina Drain Sac
- Resource Container
Machines in Horizon Forbidden West will drop different loot items, with many being specific to each kind of machine. Some can be looted from a fallen machine, while others will need to be removed (shot off with an arrow or removes with a hit from the spear) while the machine is still alive. The Spikesnout will drop a long list of loot items:
- Metalbite (Common) - Dropped from Body and Acid Canister
- Metal Shards (Common) - Dropped from Body
- Machine Muscle (Uncommon) - Dropped from Body
- Spikesnout Circulator* (Uncommon) - Dropped from Body
- Small Machine Core (Uncommon) - Dropped from Body and Resource Container
- Spikesnout Primary Nerve* (Uncommon) - Dropped from Body and Resource Container
- Metal Bone (Rare) - Dropped from Body
- Braided Wire (Common) - Dropped from Body and Resource Container
- Sturdy Hardplate (Common) - Dropped from Body and Resource Container
- Volatile Sludge (Very Rare) - Dropped from Amplifying Sac
- Purgewater (Uncommon) - Dropped from Damage Dampener Sac and Stamina Drain Sac
- Spikesnout Sac Webbings* (Rare) - Stamina Drain Sac
- Blastpaste (Rare) - Dropped from Resource Container
*Loot items marked with an asterisk are exclusively dropped from the Spikesnout machine.
In Horizon Forbidden West, Cauldrons allow players to override the machines within that Cauldron once they have completed it. Completing a Cauldron usually means traversing through its dungeon-like corridors and facing off against a boss at the end. The Spikesnout is a part of the CHI Overrides Cauldron.
Interested in other machine guides in Horizon Forbidden West? Check out How to defeat the Slitherfang in Horizon Forbidden West on Pro Game Guides!