We've got a look at the Fortnite 9.40 Patch Notes! The Tactical Shotgun has been upgraded with Epic & Legendary versions being now added to the game! Epic has also brought a nerf to the Combat Shotgun that reduces the headshot damage multiplier and long range effectiveness of the weapon. The Suppressed Bolt-Action Sniper has been vaulted, and the Bolt-Action has been returned to the game. Check out the rest of the patch notes below.
Tactical Shotgun - Epic & Legendary
The Tac is back in an all new form. Drop in and try out the Epic and Legendary variants now!
WEAPONS + ITEMS
- New Epic and Legendary Tactical Shotgun.
- 83 / 87 maximum damage.
- 1.5 shots per second.
- Holds 8 shells.
- Headshot multiplier of 2.25.
- Available from Floor Loot, Chests, Supply Drops, Loot Carriers, and Vending Machines.
- Semi-Auto Sniper Rifle now has reduced zoom while scoped.
- This is a Quality of Life change to help improve the usability and feel of this weapon.
- Combat Shotgun changes
- Reduced Headshot multiplier from 1.7 to 1.5.
- Reduced the long range effectiveness of the Combat Shotgun
- Reduced the falloff curve ranges from:
- 2.44 tiles (unchanged)
- 4.88 tiles to 4.39 tiles.
- 9.77 tiles to 6.84 tiles.
- 19.53 tiles to 11.72 tiles.
- After observing recent changes to damage falloff, we decided to further reduce its long range effectiveness and alter the curve to fall a bit more in line with other shotguns but still retain its unique flavor.
- Suppressed Bolt-Action Sniper Rifle
- Epic and Legendary variants.
- Bolt-Action Sniper Rifle
- Rare, Epic, and Legendary variants.
- Drum Shotgun now has the correct environmental damage falloff.
- Fixed a bug in which a Launch Pad couldn’t be destroyed by a pickaxe.
- Picking up an item that fills a stack and creates an overflow will no longer result in the currently equipped item being dropped.
- Instead of causing the currently equipped weapon to be dropped, the overflow will be dropped.
- Players will now automatically pick up a consumable if it is already in their inventory and not maxed out.
- If the auto pickup fills a stack, the overflow will be dropped.
- A new Glider and Harvesting Tool have been added for Save the World Founder's Pack owners.
- Fixed an issue involving Supply Drone Boxes not being visible after players shoot down the Supply Drone.
- Supply Drones no longer remain stationary after getting stuck for too long.
- Changed Invert “Aircraft Keyboard Controls” to “Invert Airborne Keyboard Controls” in the Options menu to reflect the fact that airborne land vehicles’ controls become inverted in the air.
- Fixed some edge cases involving damage number display rounding down for some shotgun hits.
- Blueprint doors now consistently render when players are building.
- Players can now pick up items more easily when standing on top of them.
- Foot controllers now properly allow players to rotate the next and previous weapon.
- Bushes no longer block players from being healed by a Chug Splash.
- If a player using a Shadow Bomb enters a vehicle, the Shadow Bomb effect will no longer remain active after the effect should have ended.
- The Chug Splash now properly auto-sorts to the rightmost inventory slot when picked up, like other consumables.
- Fixed an issue in which players would experience abnormally slow gliding after using a Rift-to-Go.
- Consumables associated with a bar (Shield Potion, Med Kit, etc.) are now consistently usable by players riding a Zipline.
- Fixed a rare issue involving Shadow Bombs not allowing for wall jumps at certain angles.
- Players can no longer wall jump off of the corn fields while using a Shadow Bomb.
- Players can no longer wall jump off of Slipstreams while using a Shadow Bomb.
- Fixed an issue in which the rings for Fortbytes 4, 67, 70, and 89 would not appear even though the player was wearing the correct cosmetic.
- To prevent players from exploiting the Deep Dab emote, it now has a delay before players are able to shoot after starting it.
- Fixed an issue in which damage done to shields was causing the VFX to appear larger than normal, blocking players’ vision.
- Foot Controller support improvements
- Switched over to use dead zone and max throttle end points.
- Better vehicle controls for Quad Crasher.
- New Tournament: Xbox Cup (July 20th & 21st) [$1,000,000 in Cash Prizes!]
- Solo Game Mode
- This tournament is open to all players on Xbox One and does not require reaching any division in Arena.
- The prize pool will be distributed across all server regions, with official rules and details released later this week. Check the tournament inside the game client for exact times.
- July 20th - Round One: All Eligible Players
- July 21st - Round Two: Top 1500 Players from Round One
- Players can now choose a flag to display on their career profile.
- This flag can be selected and changed from a player’s profile.
- After changing or selecting their flag, players cannot change flags again for 30 days.
- A player’s flag is visible to others when visiting a player’s profile and on tournament leaderboards.
- For teams of two or more players, the flag chosen by the majority of the team will be displayed. If there is no majority, the globe flag will be displayed.
- We are launching with an initial set of 37 total flags. Any additional flags added in the future will be announced in future updates.
- Improved server performance of Zipline.
- Improved client performance of Chug Jug.
- Optimized the way pickaxes are spawned to reduce the chance of loading issues during the initial skydive landing.
- Improved enemy footstep volume consistency, and changed volume falloff to logarithmic to make the sound diminish more naturally.
- Decreased volume of a few sounds:
- Chug Splash explosion.
- Proximity Launcher explosion.
- Ambient hum of the Slipstream platforms.
- Added a wall impact audio layer for close quarters combat as an additional warning that an enemy is shooting a structure you’re on the opposite side of.
- Wood/stone/metal bullet impacts are no longer silent on Mobile/Switch.
- Revolver equip sound is no longer silent on Mobile/Switch.
- Escape Menu & Social Panel updates:
- The input action that would bring up either the Escape Menu or Social Panel will now bring up both of them in the lobby and while in a match.
- A third tab has been added to the Social Panel. It contains all voice chat-related functionalities.
- The Escape Menu and Top Bar received a visual update.
- Added new Edit From Touch setting to enable/disable editing from touches (defaulted to enabled).
- Bluetooth microphones have been enabled to support voice chat.
- The emote wheel buttons are now bigger.
- Air Strike shots no longer create large polygonal outlines.
- Fixed an issue involving Pump and Combat Shotguns not correctly firing while Auto-Fire is selected.
- Resolved voice chat issues when joining another player’s party.
- The chest located in the Neo Tilted hotel is now openable.
- Live spectating on mobile will display the spectator's UI.
- Players no longer remain logged into their account when they close the game.
- Wallet in the Lifetime Refund Screen will now correctly display.
- Leaving the “Show Help” open in the Warm Up stage won’t cause the Button to remain present during the match.
- The "Tournament Region" text in the Compete tab is bigger.
- Map Marker HUD Layout won’t be displayed when in the Battle Bus.
- Emote HUD Layout will be displayed only in vehicles where it is possible to emote.
- Players will be able to rotate cosmetics when using a touchpad.
- The proper SFX will be played when equipping the Revolver.
- Graphical improvement on the Wonder outfit while playing the Llama Bell emote.
- Storm Eye Glider and Storm Bolt Harvesting Tool will display proper VFX.
- Graphical improvement of the Flutter outfit.
- Graphical improvement on the String Lights contrail.
- Lantern contrail will display properly in-game.
Kevin’s Floating Island
- Build a floating fortress on a new island! Kevin is back.
- Play ball! Add physics-based balls to your world to create a whole slew of new game types and player interactions.
More Channels To Triggers & Receivers
- The number of channels for Triggers & Receivers have been increased so you can automate even more mayhem in your maps.
- Published islands no longer rotate 180 degrees on the mini-map causing the lighting to be inconsistent.
- Updated My Island settings
- Added new option to Environment Damage
- Player Built Only - during a game, players can damage player-built structures (wood, stone, metal) which have been built during map creation while in a game.
- Added Building Damage option
- Determines who has the ability to damage player-built structures built during a game.
- All, Self Built, Team Built, Enemy Built, Enemy & Self Built, None (Default: All)
- Added new options to Max Resources
- 10,000, 50,000, 99,999
- Player-built structures can be edited prior to placing when Environment Damage settings are active.
- Players will no longer experience jump fatigue when the Jump Fatigue setting is set to Off.
- Unmanned vehicles will no longer phase through objects.
- Coins collected during a game do not appear while in Create mode during the same Creative session.
- The coins remain interactable and appear in subsequent game starts.
WEAPONS + ITEMS
- New Epic and Legendary Tactical Shotgun.
- 83 / 87 maximum damage.
- 1.5 shots per second.
- Holds 8 shells.
- Headshot multiplier of 2.25.
CREATIVE TOOLS + PHONE
- Geyser from the Air Vent Gallery can now be interacted with correctly when using the Phone.
PREFABS & GALLERIES
- Added the Kevin Crater to the Air Vent Gallery.
- Added Ice Cream to the Consumables Gallery.
- Added the Soccer Goal to the Sports Gallery.
- Added the Pizza Pete Picture Frame and Wood Shavings to the No Collision Gallery.
- Added an additional tree to the Haunted Hills Nature Gallery.
- Added Blue Counters to the Diners Prop Gallery.
- Added more Ground Floors to Grass & Dirt Galleries A & B.
- Added more Sidewalks to Street Gallery B.
- Castle Banners can once again be destroyed while Environment Damage is OFF.
- Fixed the trash bag from clipping through the Paradise Palms steps.
- Bushes in the Indestructible Gallery are no longer destroyed by player building.
- Health bar no longer appears when copying the Bush in the Desert Nature Gallery.
- The Pueblo Trio Prefab now has the correct grid placement.
- The Kevin Cube Gallery now has two different Cube versions.
- Replaced some ceiling tiles in the Mega Mall Prefab.
- Fixed Cliff Gallery assets which were auto-destroying themselves when exiting the Phone.
- Prefab Grenades now explode on impact instead of bouncing.
- Increased the number of available Trigger channels to 24 and the number of available Receivers to 30.
- Added Ball Spawner device.
- Spawns a ball with physics properties.
- Size: Sets the size of the ball being spawned.
- Small, Medium, Large, Super (Default: Medium)
- Type: Sets the physical properties of the ball.
- Default, Light, Heavy, Slick, Sport.
- Player Force Multiplier: Determines how much force the player will apply when hitting the ball.
- None, Low, Medium, High (Default: Medium)
- Player Knockback Amount: Determines how much force will be applied to the player when they are hit by the ball.
- None, Low, Medium, High (Default: None)
- Respawn Delay: Determines how long the device will wait before spawning a new ball after the previous one has been destroyed.
- None, 0.5 seconds, 1 second, 2 seconds, 3 seconds, 5 seconds (Default 3 seconds)
- Gravity: Determines whether the ball is affected by gravity.
- Off, On (Default: On)
- Eliminate Player When Touched: Controls whether a player is eliminated when the ball touches them.
- Off, On (Default: Off)
- Added Prop-O-Matic Manager device.
- Controls Prop-O-Matic behavior and Prop Hunt game and UI settings.
- Show Props Remaining: Yes, No
- Prop Ping Frequency: Determines the length of time between forced audio pings from players hidden as props.
- Off, 10 seconds, 15 seconds, 30 seconds (Default: 15 seconds)
- Add new options to Player Spawn Device.
- Enabled During Phase: Determines when the device is active.
- Disabled, Enabled, Warm-Up Only, Gameplay Only (Default: Enabled)
- Added Receivers to Disable and Enable the device.
- Added new options to the Explosive Device - the following options apply only to Badge style Health Bars.
- Team Visibility: Determines which teams can see the device’s Health Bar.
- Any, 1-16, All Hostile, All Neutral, All Friendly (Default: Any)
- Friendly Icon Text: Determines the text that is displayed on the Health Bar if the device is considered friendly.
- Neutral Icon Text: Determines the text that is displayed on the Health Bar if the device is considered neutral.
- Enemy Icon Text: Determines the text that is displayed on the Health Bar if the device is considered a hostile.
- HUD Text Size: Determines the size of the Icon Text/Health Value displayed.
- 1x, 1.5x, 2x (Default: 1x)
- Added new option to Capture Area Device.
- Player Capture Item Filter: Determines whether a player requires the registered item in their inventory to be able to score points by standing in the Capture Area.
- On, Off (Default: Off)
- Only relevant when Player Capture is On.
- Added option to Enable/Disable the Ground Fog particle effect.
- Changed the default option for Grant on Respawn in the Team Settings Device to OFF so that by default it will not remove all items from a player’s inventory when they respawn.
- Applying settings to a Player Spawn device no longer prevents players from spawning on the plate properly.
- The Mounted Turret device won’t destroy the attached floor after a game, which would sometimes cause mass island destruction when the Turret was on a floor piece providing critical structural support.
- Objects will no longer disappear when returning to the Hub then going back into an island.
- Fixed issues with the Beacon Device:
- Beacon now hides correctly during pre-game phase if set to Gameplay Only.
- Beacon now hides correctly after game end.
- Objective Devices set to Team 16 will now destroy other Objective Devices within their blast radius.
- Fixed a number of issues associated with the Prop-O-Matic.
- Prop orientation for the disguised player should now match the orientation seen by other players.
- Players can no longer turn into floating islands using the Prop-O-Matic.
- Switching weapons while an object is highlighted with the Prop-O-Matic no longer causes the object to remain highlighted after the switch.
- The ‘Exit’ UI prompt will now be displayed while in prop mode.
- Fixed an issue where incorrect button prompts would be shown when disguised in Fly Mode on mobile devices.
- Correct health values will be displayed when transforming into certain props.
- Disguised players will remain visible if their prop was destroyed by an Explosive Device.
- Bush consumable no longer remains visible when a player transforms into a prop.
- The ‘Lock in Place’ button prompt no longer appears as ‘Unbound’ on consoles and mobile.
- Players can no longer transform into the Target Dummy Track or Vehicle Spawner devices with the Prop-O-Matic.
- The Prop-O-Matic now has the correct number of rarity stars.
- Fixed an issue on mobile devices where the Phone Tool UI would appear when a disguised player was hit by a Boogie Bomb.
- Players can transform into large props from any viewpoint.
- Uneven terrain no longer prevents players from changing into certain props.
- Fixed an issue where players would jitter while standing near the Creative Hub Rift while disguised as a prop.
UI + SOCIAL
- Added descriptions to Ignore Team for Damage and Ignore Team for Proximity options on the Explosive Device to clarify how they affect team affiliation for HUD purposes.
- Spawns Left will display correctly on scoreboard.
- Fixed "Number of Hiders" Prop Hunt UI showing up outside of games.
- Fixed typo in 'Allow Items to be Dropped' setting in Game Settings tab.
- Fixed text error in Requires Line of Sight descriptions in Beacon Device and Explosive Device.
- The Edit Tool will correctly highlight Arctic Base parts.
- The Storm Controller Device is no longer missing a blueprint preview when players hover over it with the Phone.
- Instructions on how to "Change Destination" on Rift Waypoint will be displayed.
SAVE THE WORLD
Fortnite’s 2nd Birthday
Celebrate two years of Fortnite with Birthday-themed Quests and a Hero!
Open a Birthday Llama filled to the brim with Heroes and weapons from the past year of Fortnite events!
MISSIONS + SYSTEMS
- Quests, missions alerts, and daily login rewards will now grant X-Ray Tickets instead of V-Bucks to players who are non founders. Paid Founders will not be affected by this change.
- Celebrate Fortnite’s second birthday with these sweet Birthday Quests:
- Earn the new Birthday Brigade Jonesy Hero by completing a quest to eliminate Cake Sploders in successful missions. Be careful to avoid their exploding pastries!
- Earn Summer Tickets by collecting delicious-looking birthday cakes in successful missions. This quest is repeatable, so eat up!
- Hero Loadouts have been added as rewards for completing Storm Shield Defense 10 in Stonewood, Plankerton, Canny Valley, and Twine Peaks.
Note:We teased a feature that’s coming over the course of Season 10… Take a look!
- Time Cheats will now spawn more reliably in Wargames.
- Traps no longer visually persist after their durability runs out in Wargames.
- Bad traps will be cleared every time the Storm Shield is entered.
- Sound now correctly plays when standing near the edge of a Storm Shield.
- Acid Pools now display correctly when the Acid Pool Mutator is active.
- The Hexed statues in the Hexed Wargames Simulation no longer pop out of visibility.
- The Event popup menu in the quest tab now scales properly for all resolutions.
Bug Fixes and Adjustments
- Storage in the Armory now shows 5 items per line again instead of 3.
- The ‘Equip’ button will now display properly on the Backpack screen if using hotkeys to swap out weapons.
- The inventory screen was showing the wrong item details in some situations.
- Text was flickering in the storm shield menu in some languages.
- Transform keys now display correctly if players have 1000+ keys.
- Fixed an issue when inspecting an X-Ray Llama to show the correct options.
- Wargame Simulation and Challenge boxes now have scrolling sounds when selecting them while using a controller.
- Incorrect text rewards would display if the skip button was pressed after leveling up on the Victory Screen.
- The commander xp screen during the mission rewards cycle now properly displays banners on console.
- Inspecting currency earned from Llamas will now show the amount of currency gained instead of the total amount of currency owned.
- Mission Rewards list arrows were not updating immediately, leading to some cases where it was showing at inappropriate times.
- Removed an extra prompt from some notifications such as friend requests received in zone.
- The top of the scroll bar in the Llama reward screen is now draggable.
- Improved performance of the in-game mission objective UI.
- Improved performance when changing tabs in the Schematic menu.
- Removed some hitches that were occuring during tutorial dialogs.
- Removed a hitch while going into the Save the World map for the first time.
- We’ve added a new birthday-themed Hero!
- Birthday Brigade Jonesy is all about survival… and cake sprinkles. He seems to really enjoy sprinkles.
- Standard Perk: Survivalist
- Eliminations heal you for 39 base Health over 3 seconds. Duration refreshes with additional eliminations.
- Commander Perk: Survivalist+
- Eliminations heal you for 117 base Health over 3 seconds. Duration refreshes with additional eliminations.
- Earn Birthday Brigade Jonesy by completing the new Sploding Husks quest.
- 8-Bit Demo returns to the Event Store!
- Standard Perk: Enduring Machine
- After ability cast, weapons lose 40% less Durability for the next 2 uses.
- Commander Perk: Enduring Machine+
- After ability cast, weapons lose 40% less Durability for the next 6 uses.
- Available in the Event Store starting July 17 at 8 PM Eastern Time.
- Fossil Southie is now eligible for an item reset.
- This is due to the issue in v9.30 which caused the Saurian Focus perk to grant the same bonus as the Commander Perk even when slotted in a non-Commander Slot.
- The Hero Perks Mad Tidings and Start Up were not properly resetting upon weapon overheat.
- The Hero Perk Enduring Machine was not working correctly for melee weapons.
- Commander Perks Cascade and Fan of Stars now work correctly.
- Fire sound effects persisted after using Dragon Slash while using the Fire of the Dragon Hero Perk.
- The Fourth of July heroes can be retired and now take up inventory space.
WEAPONS + ITEMS
- Smash 2nd Year Birthday Llamas to celebrate a year worth of loot!
- The new 2nd Year Birthday Llama is available in the Loot tab of the Save the World Store for 1000 summer tickets.
- The Birthday Llama is stuffed with the greatest hits of Heroes and weapons from the 2nd year of Fortnite events!
- Each Llama contains at least one weapon and one Hero with at least one of those two being a Legendary or Mythic variant.
- Available for two weeks, starting July 16 and ending on August 1.
- Summer Tickets will not be converted to Birthday Llamas after the Season ends. Any remaining tickets will be converted into Sci-fi Llamas.
- Upgrading the Gammatron 9000 from epic to legendary rarity now works correctly.
- Defenders now shoot the Boom Bow at the correct fire rate.
- Reduced the Boom Bow's displayed fire rate in order to correct the DPS number shown in the UI.
- This will not affect the actual fire rate of the Boom Bow.
- The Campfire trap now correctly heals any nearby damaged Defenders.
- Fixed an issue with traps in Storm Shields not applying their health and healing perks.
- Fixed elemental alterations not showing correctly for the following weapon sets:
- The banner gadget no longer permanently colors structures blue.
- Corrected an issue with sploder propane tanks rotating back and forth while bouncing.
- Defenders will now properly return the weapons they use once a mission is completed.
- Allow trap cycling when B.A.S.E. is equipped.
- Husks remain illuminatefter being frozen.
- Players should no longer appear in the DBNO state during the Victory Screen.