Iron ore produces valuable iron ingots in Minecraft 1.20, which makes it highly desirable each time I want to start crafting many basic tools and weapons. This guide will cover everything you need to know if you're on the hunt for iron ore in Minecraft.
Where to find & look for Iron Ores in Minecraft 1.20
The most common height at which you can find Iron Ores in Minecraft 1.20 is at Y level 15, but you can most commonly find it between levels 15 and 232. Since the Minecraft 1.18 major Ore rework, ores have spawned either in veins or blobs, with iron ore occurring in the latter form. Since iron ore is generated pretty commonly in the Overworld, it is much easier to obtain, unlike diamond ore, which follows much more stringent generation rules. There are still patterns that can help you get much more Iron Ores quicker.
Tips for seeking Iron Ore in Minecraft 1.20
Here are some basic tips to look out for when seeking Iron Ore in Minecraft 1.20:
- The most abundant source of the Iron Ores are mountainous biomes. I have commonly found many exposed veins just waiting for me to farm them.
- Strip mining is the most effective method of thoroughly mining all ores in a particular area, including Iron Ore. If you've found yourself on a map where Iron Ore is rare, this is the way to obtain it.
- Look for caves and ravines, as Iron Ore tends to spawn in these formations more frequently. As is the case with mountainous biomes, you will frequently come upon exposed veins, which are easily accessible, and you can mine those without too much preparation.
- Villages can sometimes prove to be the source of Iron Ore as blacksmith chests within villages can contain it sometimes. This is not a reliable source, it's worth checking if you are near a village.
Iron Ore spawning levels in Minecraft Java edition
During the World generation in the Java version of Minecraft, the game will generate iron ore in three batches, each with its own rules.
- Batch 1: This batch will try to generate 40 times per chunk in blobs of 0-13, from levels 128 to 320, peaking around level 255 and becoming less common towards either end of the range.
- Batch 2: This batch will generate six times per chunk in blobs of 0-13, from levels -24 to 54, peaking at around level 15 and becoming less common towards either end of the range.
- Batch 3: This batch attempts to generate thrice per chunk in blobs of 0-5, evenly from levels -63 to 64.
Iron Ore spawning levels in Minecraft Bedrock edition
Minecraft Bedrock similarly generates iron ore, sharing a three-batch generation method. The batches will spawn ore as follows:
- Batch 1: This batch attempts to generate 90 times per chunk in blobs of 0-13, from levels 80 to 319, with level 232 beginning where it generates the most frequently and becoming less common towards either end of the range.
- Batch 2: This batch generates ten times per chunk in blobs of 0-13, from levels -24 to 56, being most common around level 16 and becoming less common towards either end of the range.
- Batch 3: The third batch will try to generate ten times per chunk in blobs of 0-5, evenly from levels -63 to 72.