Call of Duty: Modern Warfare vastly expands on weapon customization with the new Gunsmith system. Now, when you want to add an attachment, perk, or skin, you’ll go into a brand new section of your loadout that’s dedicated to tweaking the minutiae of your favorite guns.
It’s not overly complex but it’s a new enough system that it warrants some explanation, and that’s where we come in. We’re going to dig into the Gunsmith system and detail every little feature that you can tweak. That way you can hit the ground running and create a weapon in your own image in no time.
What is Gunsmithing?
Gunsmithing in Call of Duty: Modern Warfare is a brand new system that allows you to:
- Place attachments on your weapon
- Assign perks to your weapon
- Customize the visuals, including camouflage, reticle, charm, and stickers
Basically, it makes customizing your weapon a heck of a lot easier than in previous Call of Duty titles, as you can now perform any form of weapon tweaking in a single interface, rather than dig through multiple menu screens.
How do I Access the Gunsmith Menu?
You need to be at least level four to access the Gunsmith menu, so play a few rounds of multiplayer first. When you’re set, here are the steps to follow to access the screen:
- On the main menu, hit ‘Multiplayer’
- Press R1 on the main multiplayer screen to access ‘Weapons’
- Hit ‘Edit Loadouts’
- Select a loadout and then choose the Primary Weapon you want to customize
- Scroll right to highlight the ‘Gunsmith’ menu and press the action button
What Aspects of My Weapon Can I Customise?
You can customize your weapons attachments, Which can vary per weapon. The possible attachments that can be placed on a weapon include:
- Rear Grip
What do Perks do?
You can also assign a unique Perk to your weapon. Again, these vary depending on the weapon, but function much like a regular Perk, except for the fact they exclusively tweak your weapon. Perks can increase bullet penetration, delay healing, and inflict a greater stun when you hit with your weapon.
What do the Different Attachments do?
Each of the different attachments affect different aspects of your weapon. Let’s take a closer look at them:
- Muzzle: Flash Guards, Silencers, Long Barrels, and more
- Laser: Improves hip fire accuracy and more
- Optic: Red Dot, Reflex, Holo Sights, and more
- Stock: Stabilizes aim and precision
- Underbarrel: Foregrips and more
- Rear Grip: Helps with weapon stability
How Can I Customize My Weapon Cosmetically?
Much like in a typical Call of Duty, you can assign the following cosmetics to a weapon:
- Camouflage: Various different cosmetic skins
- Reticle: Different reticle shapes and colours
- Charm: An attachable charm, like a keyring for your weapon
- Stickers: Various different stickers that you can place anywhere on the weapon
How do I Unlock Attachments and Cosmetics?
Again, much like in previous Call of Duty games, you unlock attachments and cosmetics by leveling up your weapon and completing certain challenges. These challenges must be completed while using the particular weapon to unlock the specific attachment or cosmetic you’re aiming for.
It’s worth dedicating some time to your favorite weapons, as the Gunsmith system allows you to really tweak them in numerous different ways. Effectively, your weapon is like a second character in Call of Duty: Modern Warfare. It can level up, get attachments, complete challenges, and alter cosmetically the more you play.