Phasmophobia is a popular investigative horror game with a fan following worldwide. It is known for its great psychological horror theme and moody atmosphere. Nothing breaks the horror mood like a game crashing in the middle of the action. Several players have reported the game crashing on certain occasions. In this guide, we will offer some solutions to fix this problem.
How to fix the Phasmophobia crashing bug
Unfortunately, Phasmophobia has been riddled with bugs and issues since the release, and you will have to troubleshoot to nail down the cause of the problem. Several things could be the cause of Phasmophobia crashing on your device. We have compiled a list of potential causes and workarounds that can solve your problem.
- Update your Graphics drivers. If you have outdated graphics drivers, this could be the source of the problem. Updating your GPU drivers to the latest version can resolve game crashing issues, especially if the developers have included the game fix in the newest update.
- Lower your in-game graphics. If you have an outdated PC, sometimes you can solve the cause of the crashes by lowering the game graphics in the options menu. Start with advanced features like dropping the anti-aliasing and volumetric lighting. This may solve your crashing issues and improve the game's performance and frame rate.
- Avoid overclocking. Sometimes overclocking the CPU and GPU can lead to system instability and application crashes. If you are trying to run Phasmophobia while having your processor or a graphics card overclocked, try reverting them to standard.
Verifying the integrity of the game cache
Sometimes the cause of crashes could be that the game files got corrupted. The Steam platform offers an easy fix to this issue without reinstalling the whole game. To verify the integrity of the game cache, follow the steps below.
- Right-click the Phasmophobia in your Steam games library.
- Select Properties from the menu.
- Click on the Local files tab from the selection on the left side.
- Click Verify integrity of game files to initiate the verification process. This can take a while, depending on your internet connection. If any game files are corrupted or missing, Steam will download them automatically.
Issues with Phasmophobia crashing on startup
If your Phasmophobia game crashes on startup, you can possibly fix the issue by running the game in Compatibility mode. Follow the steps below:
- Open your Task Manager and kill Phasmophobia if it's still running.
- Right-click on your Steam icon and click on Run as Administrator on the dropdown menu.
- Right-click on your Steam icon again, and click Properties from the dropdown menu.
- While in the Properties menu, select the Compatibility submenu.
- Check the Run the program in compatibility mode checkbox.
- Select Windows 8 from the first dropdown menu.
- Check the Run the program as an administrator checkbox.
- Click Apply.
- Restart your PC and try running Phasmophobia again.