We're taking a quick look at how-to Gigantamax your Pokemon in Sword and Shield! This is one of the new mechanics that this generation of the game has brought, and if you want to make your Pokemon enormously powerful, we've got all the information on the topic that you'll need to know.
What is Gigantamax?
Gigantamax is an alternate form of Dynamax. When a Pokemon is capable of Gigantamaxing, it will transform not only into a huge Pokemon but it will also look quite a bit different as well. These Pokemon each have a unique move called a G-Max Move. The move is type based and has a greater effect than your standard Max moves.
How-to Get a Gigantamax Pokemon
You will need a Pokemon that has the Gigantamax gene. Only Pokemon that are caught in Max Raid Battles can have this gene, these are the battles you can do in the Wild Area from the dens that have beams of light shooting out of them. You will know you are fighting a Gigantamax Pokemon if it appears in the unique form that they can take on in the battle. Once you defeat them, you will get one attempt to catch it. The catch rate seems random, and unfortunately sometimes you'll just lose out on catching it. You will know that it is a Gigantamax Pokemon if it has the following logo next to its name:
Once you obtain a Pokemon that has the ability to Gigantamax, it is pretty simple to do. Engage in a Raid, Stadium, or Online Battle. Go to Fight and then Dynamax. Look for a move that says G-Max on it:
Hit that and your Pokemon will go into SUPER SAIYAN mode! That's pretty much it, there's nothing really different about Gigantamaxing other than the unique form that the Pokemon will take on and the move is more powerful.
List of Pokemon that Can Gigantamax
List of G-Max Moves
- G-Max Befuddle: A Bug-type attack that Gigantamax Butterfree use. This move inflicts the poisoned, paralyzed, or asleep status condition on opponents.
- G-Max Centiferno: A Fire-type attack that Gigantamax Centiskorch use. This move traps opponents in flames for four to five turns.
- G-Max Chi Strike: A Fighting-type attack that Gigantamax Machamp use. This move raises the chance of critical hits.
- G-Max Cuddle: A Normal-type attack that Gigantamax Eevee use. This move infatuates opponents.
- G-Max Depletion: A Dragon-type attack that Gigantamax Duraludon use. Reduces the PP of the last move used.
- G-Max Finale: A Fairy-type attack that Gigantamax Alcremie use. This move heals the HP of allies.
- G-Max Foam Burst: A Water-type attack that Gigantamax Kingler use. This move harshly lowers the Speed of opponents.
- G-Max Malodor: A Poison-type attack that Gigantamax Garbodor use. This move poisons opponents.
- G-Max Meltdown: A Steel-type attack that Gigantamax Melmetal use. This move makes opponents incapable of using the same move twice in a row.
- G-Max Resonance: An Ice-type attack that Gigantamax Lapras use. This move reduces the damage received for five turns.
- G-Max Gold Rush: A Normal-type attack that Gigantamax Meowth use. This move confuses opponents and also earns extra money.
- G-Max Gravitas: A Psychic-type attack that Gigantamax Orbeetle use. This move changes gravity for five turns.
- G-Max Replenish: A Normal-type attack that Gigantamax Snorlax use. This move restores Berries that have been eaten.
- G-Max Sandblast: A Ground-type attack that Gigantamax Sandaconda use. Opponents are trapped in a raging sandstorm for four to five turns.
- G-Max Smite: A Fairy-type attack that Gigantamax Hatterene use. This move confuses opponents.
- G-Max Snooze: A Dark-type attack that Gigantamax Grimmsnarl use. The user lets loose a huge yawn that lulls the targets into falling asleep on the next turn.
- G-Max Steelsurge: A Steel-type attack that Gigantamax Copperajah use. This move scatters sharp spikes around the field.
- G-Max Stonesurge: A Water-type attack that Gigantamax Drednaw use. This move scatters sharp rocks around the field.
- G-Max Stun Shock: An Electric-type attack that Gigantamax Toxtricity use. This move poisons or paralyzes opponents.
- G-Max Sweetness: A Grass-type attack that Gigantamax Appletun use. This move heals the status conditions of allies.
- G-Max Tartness: A Grass-type attack that Gigantamax Flapple use. This move reduces the opponents' evasiveness.
- G-Max Terror: A Ghost-type attack that Gigantamax Gengar use. This Pokémon steps on the opposing Pokémon's shadow to prevent them from escaping.
- G-Max Volcalith: A Rock-type attack that Gigantamax Coalossal use. This move continues to deal damage to opponents for four turns.
- G-Max Volt Crash: An Electric-type attack that Gigantamax Pikachu use. This move paralyzes opponents.
- G-Max Wildfire: A Fire-type attack that Gigantamax Charizard use. This move continues to deal damage to opponents for four turns.
- G-Max Wind Rage: A Flying-type attack that Gigantamax Corviknight use. This move removes the effects of moves like Reflect and Light Screen.
If you want to see all of these moves in action, check out this video: