Our Palkia Raid Boss Guide walks you through everything you need to know on how-to best defeat this Legendary Raid Boss! We're taking a look at Palkia's 100% IV CP, moveset, and the best counters you'll want to use to get this boss taken out quickly.
Palkia is the most recent Legendary Pokemon to be featured as a raid boss. The Pokemon is a Water and Dragon type, so you will need to break out your Dragon and Fairy type Pokemon to really deal much damage to it. The boss itself has 50,019 CP and is a Tier 5 encounter. With the exact right team and Windy weather you might be able to duo it, you will have to be extremely lucky with its moveset to take it down. This Pokemon more likely requires at least 3 to 5 high level players with the right Pokemon to take it out efficiently.
Unfortunately, there's no possibilities for Shiny Palkia with this raid.
Palkia Pokemon Go Raid Battle Announcement
A new arrival to raids will test your strength in 2019! The Water- and Dragon-type Spatial Pokémon, Palkia, will join Raid Battles across the world from January 29 at 1:00 p.m. PST to February 28 at 1:00 p.m. PST!
With the ability to warp the very fabric of space and enough power to take on Giratina, Palkia is a Pokémon that shouldn’t be underestimated. Be sure to assemble a team that includes Dragon- and Fairy-type Pokémon to take down this Legendary Pokémon before its special attacks overwhelm your team!
Don’t miss this chance to catch this Legendary Pokémon before it returns to its own spatial dimension! Stay safe, and happy exploring!
—The Pokémon GO team
Palkia Raid Boss Release Date
You will be able to take on Palkia on January 29th, 2019 at 1pm PST all the way until February 28th, 2019 at 1pm PST!
Palkia's 100% IVs
If you are hoping to catch a 100% IV version of Palkia then these are the CPs you'll need to see.
- Normal Weather Conditions: 2280 CP
- Wind or Rainy Weather Conditions: 2850 CP
Palkia mostly has Dragon moves, but it can also run Hydro Pump. If you are running Dragons against it, you are going to need to try and avoid the attacks as much as possible because they are going to pack a punch. This is where the Fairy options are going to shine, they resist the moves and still can hit heavy with Dazzling Gleam.
- Dragon Breath (Dragon)
- Dragon Tail (Dragon)
- Draco Meteor (Dragon)
- Fire Blast (Fire)
- Hydro Pump (Water)
More Great Pokemon Content
- Pokemon Sword and Shield Pokedex List – Galar Pokedex, All Currently Known Pokemon!
- Pokemon Sword and Shield Starters – Leaks, Evolutions, Final Forms
- Pokemon Sword and Shield Legendaries List – Currently Known Legendaries!
- Pokemon Go: Rayquaza Raid Guide – Moveset, IVs, Counters, and Weaknesses
- Pokemon Sword and Shield Guide: Release Date, Gen 8, More!
If you are looking for the best counters against Palkia, then you are going to want to use Dragon or Fairy types. Unfortunately, right now there isn't very many powerful Fairy options, so you'll likely be using whatever the strongest Dragon you have. You'll want a Dragon Pokemon with two Dragon type moves. Dragon Tail and Outrage are the best options, but Pokemon with other options, such as: Draco Meteor, Dragon Claw, and Dragon Breath also work.
Best Dragon Counters
- Rayquaza - Dragon Tail and Outrage
- Dragonite - Dragon Tail and Outrage
- Palkia (After you catch one!) - Dragon Tail and Draco Meteor
- Salamence - Dragon Tail and Draco Meteor
- Latios - Dragon Breath and Dragon Claw
- Latias - Dragon Breath and Outrage
Best Fairy Counters
There are a couple of Fairy options you can use if you are lacking some of the above Dragons. The benefit of using one of the Fairy types is that they will resist the majority of Palkia's moves.
- Togekiss - Hidden Power and Dazzling Gleam
- Gardevoir - Confusion and Dazzling Gleam
More Dragon Counters
If you are missing all of the above options, there's still some other Dragon types you can use.
- Exeggutor - Dragon Tail and Dragon Pulse
- Gyarados - Dragon Breath and Outrage
- Flygon - Dragon Tail and Dragon Claw
- Kingdra - Dragon Breath and Outrage