Patch 12 for Sons of the Forest introduced plenty of new features to spruce up the gameplay, including the ability to upgrade your weapons via the forge. To access the new upgrade system, you must build a forge, for which you'll need to mine a new resource in the game called Solofite. To mine Solofite, you'll need the Pickaxe, an item that was also added in Patch 12. This guide will show you where Pickaxe is in Sons of the Forest.
How to reach the Pickaxe location in Sons of the Forest, explained
To obtain the Pickaxe in Sons of the Forest, you must go to the location of the new cave system at the northeastern end of the map. If you pull up your GPS tracker, there will be two cave entrances close to each other; you're looking for one closest to the river.
Once you reach the location in the image above, rope down into the cave system. There won't be any mutant activity inside, so you won't have to stock up on weapons, but you will need to have a rebreather as there are multiple diving sections in the cave. Once you're inside, follow these directions to get to the Pickaxe:
- Descend further into the cave until you reach a small area with a pool of water below the waterfall. There will be some supplies nearby and an oxygen bottle. Be sure to pick it up. Once you're ready, dive into the water.
- Swim through the water, passing by a couple of skeletons tied to ropes. This section isn't too long, and while the lack of focus can be disorienting, just keep going straight.
- Once you emerge from the water, head straight over the boulder and you will see a boarded-up passageway. Head right at this point and slide down a slope.
- You will find yourself in another pool, and it's time for another dive. This time, there is a single fork in the cave, so you should hug the right corner to navigate easily. I accidentally went left and panicked when I hit a dead end, but fortunately, I didn't go too far.
- There will be a sharp left turn at a certain point, after which you will be able to start ascending.
- After resurfacing for the second time, you will see a broken set of planks on the next passageway. You will be able to walk through without having to break anything. Immediately after you pass the barricade, you will have to dive into the third flooded tunnel.
- The third flooded section will be straightforward and quick. There won't be any forks this time.
Related: Sons of the Forest Golf Cart Guide
- Once you resurface, you will be greeted with the gruesome sight of three miners hanging from the cave ceiling. Head over to the left path.
- You will immediately come upon a wall filled with Solofite ore and a ladder next to it. Approach the Solofite vein, and you will see the Pickaxe. Pick it up and test it on the ore to obtain some Solofite for your Forge.
- To exit the cave system, head right and ascend the rope two times to reach the final area. You will come out of the second tunnel entrance closer to the lake.
Looking for more guides to help you survive in Sons of the Forest? You've come to the right place! Check out All Sons of the Forest Weapons (and how to get them) and Sons of the Forest Electric Fence guide here on Pro Game Guides!