Age of Empires IV is the latest in a series of real-time strategy games released on PC. In Age of Empires, players take control of one of the game's factions. From there, players try to overwhelm or outsmart their enemies in battle using a host of tactics. How many factions does Age of Empires IV have, though, and who will players control in this RTS title?
There are eight factions—known as Civilizations—for players to choose from in Age of Empires IV.
- Rus: Skilled Hunters well suited to battling in the wild.
- Holy Roman Empire: Civilization known for its strong infantry.
- Chinese: A versitile civilization with access to gunpower, a dynasty system, and complex strategies.
- English: A civilization known as a bastion of defense with more affordable farms than other factions.
- Delhi Sultanate: A civilization focused on technology, research, and defense. Known for their War Elephants.
- Mongols: Masters of guerrilla warfare, the Mongols excel at hit-and-run tactics thanks to their impressive mobility.
- Abbasid Dynasty: A civilization known to adapt to their enemies with a distinctive upgrade system at their House of Wisdom.
- French: An army with an impressive cavalry and armored knights, the French utilize gunpowder and siege weaponry.
Each faction has its strengths that aid them on the battlefield, as mentioned above. Finding what faction best suits each player is up to trial and error.
Age of Empires IV is available now on PC, and Xbox Game Pass PC subscribers can download the game as part of their subscription.
For more on the Age of Empires, check out our other guides, like All Holy Roman Empire Mastery Achievements and Rewards in Age of Empires IV here on Pro Game Guides.