Animal Crossing just got a brand new patch on July 30th, 2020! This has brought some maintenance to the game, so you might not be able to play right now. The patch notes, which can be found below, tell us that there's going to be a new seasonal event, called Firework Shows, added to the game. There's some new limited seasonal items added to the Nook Shop, and a new feature has been added to the NookPhone Camera application that will allow you to turn off guide information.
There are some new online features as well! You can sleep in a bed to meet Luna, who will allow you to upload a dream of your island! You can also visit other uploaded dream islands as well. There's new features added to the Custom Designs Portal, and a new feature has been added that will allow you to back up save data to Nintendo's servers via the web. Check out the full patch notes below (Source)!
The software has been updated if you see “Ver. 1.4.0” in the upper-right corner of the title screen.
- General updates
- A new seasonal event, Fireworks Shows, has been added.
- New limited-time seasonal items have been added to Nook Shopping.
- A new feature was added to the NookPhone Camera app, allowing you to turn off the guide information by pressing in the R Stick.
- The “funny glasses” item now matches up with player skin color variations.
- Online connectivity features
- A new feature allows you to sleep in a bed and meet Luna. You can upload a dream of your island via the internet or visit other uploaded dream islands.
- New features have been added to the Custom Designs Portal. You can now search by design name or type. You can now create a list of favorite creators.
- A new feature has been added for backing up save data to Nintendo’s servers via the internet. You can use backed up save data with the island backup restoration service if your Nintendo Switch system is lost or broken.
- You must be a member of Nintendo Switch Online and enable backups within Animal Crossing: New Horizons to use this new feature.
- Save data cannot be restored at a customer’s discretionary timing. If your system is broken, you must contact Nintendo Support to start a repair request. If you have lost your system, you must contact Nintendo Support.
- This feature does not allow save data (island data) to be transferred to a different system. We currently plan on adding a save data transfer feature within 2020. Information on the feature and timing will be announced at a future time.
- Learn more about the island backup restoration service.
- Fixed issues
- Other adjustments were made to improve the game play experience.