Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 continues a long-standing tradition of PC version errors that can crash the game in the worst possible moment. The last thing you want to see while playing is that infamous Fatal Error saying: "Unfortunately, the application has unexpectedly stopped working. Trying a 'Scan and Repair' might solve the issue." So how to fix this error in MW2?
How to stop 'Scan and Repair' crash in Modern Warfare 2
You can try several solutions to fix the 'Scan and Repair' error in Modern Warfare 2. Many factors can cause this problem, so try every option and hope that one of them will be the correct answer:
Change effects settings in Modern Warfare 2
- In the game, go to Settings.
- Select the Interface option.
- Find the Parallax Effects setting and turn it off.
- Play the game.
Scan and Repair MW2 files via Battle.net
- Open the Modern Warfare 2 page on Battle.net.
- Click on the small Gear button next to the Play button.
- Click on the Scan and Repair button.
- Select the Begin Scan option.
- Wait for the process to end.
- Launch the game.
Related: How to fix blur in Modern Warfare 2
Scan and Repair Modern Warfare 2 files via Steam
- In Steam, go to Library.
- Right-click on the Modern Warfare game in the list.
- Select the Properties option.
- Select the Local Files option.
- Press the Verify the Integrity of the game files button.
- Wait for the process to be finished.
- Launch the game.
These are just some of the technical issues you'll encounter. Be prepared for every situation, so you can know how to fix the MW2 voice service error or the "to play this, you'll need to buy it" Xbox error. This way, you'll know how to apply every necessary fix so you can play Modern Warfare 2 without issues.
For more information on Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, check out How to fix MW2 keeps crashing on PC, PS5, & Xbox issue on Pro Game Guides.