Connection errors are to be expected with live-service games and Destiny 2 is no exception. Players are bound to experience error codes, particularly at the launch of a new season, patch, or content drop.
The Chicken error code in Destiny 2 is common with players and it is tied directly with home internet connections. For some reason or other, the user is unable to connect to Destiny 2 due to an issue with their modem/router or internet service provider (ISP). In this case, it might likely be the user can't connect to their home internet at all.
Although Bungie attributes the Chicken error code to the user's end, this might not always be the case. On the BungieHelp Twitter, the company's support team reported a rise in Chicken error codes, most likely a result on the company's end and not the user's. Players should, first and foremost, follow BungieHelp for the most recent Destiny 2 error reports before troubleshooting further.
There is no "one-size-fits-all" solution to the Chicken error. Rather, one user's connection issue might differ from another user's. If BungieHelp has not reported the Chicken error on the company's end, players should shuffle through these steps.
- If possible, wire your PC or console directly to your home/router modem using an ethernet cable.
- Clear your Console Cache or the Download Cache in Steam.
- Console Cache: Completely power down the console. When 100% powered down, unplug the power cord from the back of the console. Wait at least five minutes before doing anything. Plug the power cord back into console, turn on console, and re-launch the game.
- Steam Download Cache: With Steam opened on PC, open the Settings panel. Within Settings, press the Downloads tab. Within the Downloads tab, press CLEAR DOWNLOAD CACHE. Select OK to confirm. Log back into Steam and re-launch the game.
- Unplug your home router/modem. Wait at least 30 to 60 seconds before plugging router/modem back in.
Worst case scenario is a possible local outage caused by the user's ISP. In this case, users should contact their local ISP if the Chicken error code persists.
For more Destiny 2 guides, be sure to check back with Pro Game Guides.