Update 05/24/2022: Crafting with the Resonant Elements didn't exactly go according to plan. At the beginning of Season of the Haunted, Bungie removed all previous Resonant Elements from Destiny 2. Now, Resonant Elements consist entirely of the former Neutral Element.
With weapon crafting having come to Destiny 2 in The Witch Queen expansion, there's a lot of new information for players to take in. One important aspect of crafting and reshaping weapons is the different Resonant Elements.
Resonant Elements come in five different flavors, with each affecting different parts of the crafting experience. All can be obtained by completing Deepsight Resonance bounties, except for the Drowned Elements, which come from Raid-Exclusive Deepsight Resonance bounties. An additional source would be completing the "attunement" for each "red" weapon that drops.
- Ruinous Elements - Damage-related, Enhanced Traits, and Exotic Weapon Crafting
- Adroit Elements - Weapon-performance related, specific Enhanced Traits, and Exotic Weapon Crafting
- Mutable Elements - Ability-boosting related, Enhanced Traits, and Exotic Weapon Crafting
- Energetic Elements - Ammo or Reload related, Enhanced Traits, and Exotic Weapon Crafting
- Drowned Elements - Raid-based Enhanced Traits and Exotic Weapon Crafting
With Resonant Elements required for crafting Trait Perks, acquiring them will be crucial for creating some of the best "rolls" for each weapon. Players should take every opportunity to acquire them, especially as new weapons are added to the crafting pool.
For more Destiny 2 goodies, check out Should I Buy Destiny 2: The Witch Queen? – Destiny 2: The Witch Queen Review on Pro Game Guides.