Honkai Star Rail Herta menu
Screenshot by Pro Game Guides

How to level up the Relic substats you want in Honkai Star Rail – HSR Upgrade guide

May you never get 20% on DEF ever again.

Getting the main stat you want for a Relic is easier now thanks to crafting, but its substats? Not so much. Plus, when you do get the substats you need, your upgrades roll DEF. While this guide can’t help you get SPD, Crit Rate, and Crit DMG on all your Relics in Honkai: Star Rail, it can help you roll your upgrades into the stats you need to.

Recommended Videos

How to ‘manipulate’ your Relic upgrades in Honkai Star Rail

First off, what we’re teaching you is not so much manipulation as calculated guessing. Thanks to the efforts of YouTuber Bernard Pangan and his colleagues, we are now able to determine which substats might roll on a given day.

According to their data, substat rolls are dependent on three factors:

  • The day you roll your upgrades
  • Your account’s server
  • The current patch (it shuffles the numbers sometimes)

For example, during a Saturday on an America Honkai: Star Rail account, there’s a good chance that one of your first three rolls will go into the second substat.

Instead of doing complicated math on your end, Bernard created this updating relic data sheet to record his team’s daily data for anyone to access. He only asks that you copy the sheet as a separate, personal file if you want to change the dates and convert numbers so their data doesn’t get overwritten.

Here’s a complete tutorial if the sheet is too confusing:

Related: Honkai Star Rail Gold and Gears Guide – Simulated Universe Gold & Gears Tier List

How reliable is substat ‘manipulation’ in Honkai Star Rail?

Even if there is a 30% chance for you to roll the substat you want in a given time, that still means 70% of it going anywhere else. In the end, what we have are still calculated guesses. What I will say, however, is that this data probably rolls on the substat I want 2-3 times out of five upgrades. I’ve been hoarding Relics with ~20% Crit DMG thanks to it, which is awesome.

Honkai Star Rail relic screen menu with Crit DMG at 18%
Screenshot by Pro Game Guides

Again, all this data does is alert you when the optimal day (and time for some regions) to upgrade your Relics is. This increases your chances of not getting trash rolls for days but doesn’t guarantee a god roll. Try praying to Aventurine’s deity, maybe?

For more help with Honkai: Star Rail, check out All Warp Trotter Locations (Map) in Honkai Star Rail here at Pro Game Guides.


Pro Game Guides is supported by our audience. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn a small affiliate commission. Learn more
related content
Read Article Contexto Answers (May 2024)
Contexto example
Read Article How to get Coup-En in Zenless Zone Zero
Zenless Zone Zero Bangboo in the Random Play Store
Read Article Does Ghost of Tsushima work on Steam Deck? (Best Settings)
A Steam Deck playing the Ghost of Tsushima game
Read Article Global Roblox Outage – Is Roblox Down?
The Roblox Logo
Read Article Is Roblox down and when will it be back?
Roblox logo with checkmark at the end
Related Content
Read Article Contexto Answers (May 2024)
Contexto example
Read Article How to get Coup-En in Zenless Zone Zero
Zenless Zone Zero Bangboo in the Random Play Store
Read Article Does Ghost of Tsushima work on Steam Deck? (Best Settings)
A Steam Deck playing the Ghost of Tsushima game
Read Article Global Roblox Outage – Is Roblox Down?
The Roblox Logo
Read Article Is Roblox down and when will it be back?
Roblox logo with checkmark at the end
Author
Bianca Versoza
Bianca Versoza is Pro Game Guides' Weekend Editor. With over three years of experience in gaming journalism, she specializes in anything remotely turn-based and strategic, like Pokémon, Valkyria, and Honkai: Star Rail. Bianca is a huge fan of Square Enix, RPGs, party games, and visual novels, but will play anything with a banger OST. She's a proud early bird.

Write A Comment

How to level up the Relic substats you want in Honkai Star Rail – HSR Upgrade guide

Comments are on moderation and will be approved in a timely manner. Please read the following rules before commenting:

  • All comments must be on topic and add something of substance to the post
  • No swearing or inappropriate words
  • No asking or begging for anything free
  • Do not attempt to start a poll in the comments
  • Comments in all CAPS will be removed
  • We reserve the right to remove a comment for any reason
  • Do not impersonate a staff member or influencer

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.