Diamond has been the top tier when it comes to gear in Minecraft for a long-time, but that will be changing in the 1.16 update! Netherite is now going to take that spot, but what exactly makes it better? Well, we're going to take a look at Netherite vs. Diamond and what the differences are when it comes to this new material.
Netherite is currently only available for the Java version of the game and can be played in the 20w06a snapshot. You can access this by selecting the "Latest Snapshot" when you go to play Minecraft.
Netherite vs. Diamond
If we're looking at this objectively, then Netherite is just flat out better than Diamond. It's pretty much an upgrade to Diamond, so you get everything you had with Diamond but more. One of the quick things to get out of the way is that Netherite contains Knockback Resistance. If you get hit with an explosion or whatever knocks you back, you will now be knocked back a lot less further. The second thing that makes it better is that it will not be destroyed by lava! Netherite armor, tools, and weapons will all float in lava making it great for exploring with. Now, let's compare the stats on it against Diamond:
- Netherite Helmet: +3 Armor Toughness, +3 Armor, +1 Knockback Resistance
- Diamond Helmet: +2 Armor Toughness, +3 Armor
- Netherite Chestplate: +3 Armor Toughness, +8 Armor, +1 Knockback Resistance
- Diamond Chestplate: +2 Armor Toughness, +8 Armor
- Netherite Leggings: +3 Armor Toughness, +6 Armor, +1 Knockback Resistance
- Diamond Leggings: +2 Armor Toughness, +6 Armor
- Netherite Boots: +3 Armor Toughness, +3 Armor, +1 Knockback Resistance
- Diamond Boots: +2 Armor Toughness, +3 Armor
As you can see when it comes to armor that you get +1 additional Armor Toughness for each piece. This is a secondary attribute that adds to the general protection of your armor. It also adds the Knockback Resistance that we mentioned before.
- Netherite Sword: 1.6 Attack Speed, 8 Attack Damage
- Diamond Sword: 1.6 Attack Speed, 7 Attack Damage
- Netherite Pickaxe: 1.2 Attack Speed, 6 Attack Damage
- Diamond Pickaxe: 1.2 Attack Speed, 5 Attack Damage
- Netherite Shovel: 1 Attack Speed, 6.5 Attack Damage
- Diamond Shovel: 1 Attack Speed, 5.5 Attack Damage
- Netherite Axe: 1 Attack Speed, 10 Attack Damage
- Diamond Axe: 1 Attack Speed, 9 Attack Damage
- Netherite Hoe: 4 Attack Speed, 1 Attack Damage
- Diamond Hoe: 4 Attack Speed, 1 Attack Damage
When it comes to weapons and tools, you generally get a +1 when it comes to Attack Damage and that's about it. That damage does translate into faster harvest times when it comes to mining, chopping down trees, and digging up dirt. Netherite also has increased durability, according to the Minecraft Wiki it looks like you'll get 1,561 durability out of a Diamond Pickaxe and 2,031 out of a Netherite.
If you're wondering how to get yourself some Netherite gear, then make sure to check out our How-to Make Netherite Armor, Weapons, and Tools Guide!