Pentiment is a historically driven medieval adventure game on PC where players step into the master artist Andreas Maler's shoes as he attempts to uncover the truth between a gruesome murder, and dangerous conspiracy happening in his town. Activities that may seem unnecessary could make all the difference, such as sharing a meal with someone. Your conversations with the townspeople can provide helpful information that may help you solve this murder. Here's how you can use your shared meals to your advantage.
What people should you eat with in Pentiment?
In Pentiment, you must choose someone to dine with each day, for lunch and supper. Who you choose can be important in your investigation. Certain opportunities only arise on specific days of the story, so you will want to choose wisely each time. Perhaps the most important people you should prioritize meals with are Smokey, Lucky, and Agnes since they will give you some essential information for the case. Here is all the information you can learn by chatting with each neighbor:
- Grett and Ulrich: They can be found at the Alban Bakery, and dining with them will lead to a discussion about Matilda's troubling behavior and their suspicion that she is involved with a prior.
- Lady Salomea: Meals with Lady Salomea are only briefly available in the Guest House a day or two after the murder. She will reveal that her relationship wasn't great with the Baron, and she knew he was unfaithful.
- Frantz and Kat: You can dine with Frantz and Kat at the Frantz Bauer House. However, the only information you can get from this is about Otillia stealing firewood from them and proof of just how terrible Frantz is to his family.
- Smokey: You can find Smokey in his camp in the Forest and ask him to dine, which will also include Vaclav. Smokey will reveal he saw a monk performing rituals in the Forest, suggesting it might be Prior Ferenc. He will also tell you that he has seen Sister Matilda and Brother Wojslav doing the shopping together in town and appeared to be a little too friendly.
- Otto and Old Otto: The Ottos are at the Zimmerman House. Dining with them won't reveal too much, but they will also suggest you speak with the woman while spinning the wool since they are the real gossips of the town. You can find them near the Frantz Bauer farm. They will also reference Sister Matilda and Mother Cecilia, which you may want to chat with afterward if you haven't already.
- Johan and Heddy: You can dine with Johan and Heddy at the Johan Bauer Farm, and they are more neighbors that won't give you too much important information, but you will learn they are happy about the Baron's death, and they hope to buy Otillia's land.
- Lucky and Agnes: You can find Lucky and Agnes at the Midwife's House. Dining with them will give you beneficial information about how to sneak into the library since Lucky will discuss how he came across the secret entrance. You will also learn that they lost their daughter and granddaughter tragically.
- Clara and Peter: Clara and Peter at located at the Gertner Farm. You will learn from them a little more about the Baron's bad behavior toward the young woman in the town, specifically a young woman who used to live with Lucky and Agnes.
- Sebhat: You can find Sebhat in the Abbey Cloister. Sharing lunch with him will open up a new interaction in which the mother and children arrive to hear his stories. From this conversation, you can learn some tales about bodies rising from tombs and more ghost activity, referring to the ancient ruins around the town.
Why meals are essential in Pentiment
Sometimes the only way to learn information and come across new evidence is to speak to those around you. They might know more or witnessed something you haven't. This is why sharing meals with your neighbors will help push your investigation along and give you hints and tips on what you should do next. There is no wrong answer when picking someone to dine with, but some dialogue is more important than others, and specific opportunities only open up occasionally. Try to chat with everyone each day and see who you can sit down with; you might find the details you need to solve the murder.
Looking for more Pro Game Guides Pentiment content? Check out our guides on How to solve Ferenc's Volvelle Puzzle in Pentiment or How to find the secret crypt door in Pentiment!