Islands just got a pretty huge update that has brought factories to the game. This includes new ore, mining capabilities, molds, and a bunch of new items that you can make. Not only that, there's a small resource island that will spawn near your island. Each of these has a block that can be mined with a drill. They spawn every 24 hours, but not game time, in real life time!
As for resources, you can get copper and create steel. There's a new merchant who will purchase products that you create via your factories. You can also make a Weapon Stand and Fish Tank by using the Carpentry Bench! There's even some decorations that can be added to your fish tank to make it look amazing. Be sure to check this update out, because there's a whole lot of fun additions to the game.
Here's a look at the official patch notes from the Islands Discord, where you can see all of what has been added to the game:
Resource Deposit Islands
Small resource islands now spawn near your island. Each resource island has a deposit block that can be mined using a drill. Resource islands only spawn every 24 IRL hours.
The current resource islands are for copper (and you can have a max of two copper islands). We'll be adding more resource island types over time!
- Copper ore
- Steel Mill
- Steel Press
- Copper Press
- Added "molds" that are used with factory presses
- Steel + Copper bolts, plates and rods
- Steel rods now require actual steel (instead of iron + coal)
- Mechanic merchant that buys factory products
- Gold rock spawn rate increased & now drops more gold
- Weapon Stand (Carpentry Bench)
- Fish Tanks (Carpentry Bench)
- Added 4 fish tank decoration blueprints found from fishing & collecting coral
- Nerfed berry price
- Moved display case recipes to the carpentry bench
- Fixed worker blocks consuming all fuel items instead of just one
- Bug fixes and performance improvements