Playing as a Sorcerer in Diablo 4 can be tough but exceptionally rewarding if you know how to synergize different skill tree abilities. After playing the game as a Sorcerer, I am convinced that it is the best class to choose, and you need to know how to unlock the Enchantment slot to become even more powerful. The Enchantment slot is only for the Sorcerer class, and you need to complete a specific quest to unlock this. Here's how to unlock and use the Enchantment Slot for Sorcerers in Diablo 4.
How do Enchantment Slots work in Diablo 4?
Enchantment Slots are a class feature for Sorcerers where you can equip abilities to gain passive versions of the skills. There are two Enchantment Slots that you can use, but the second one is available after Level 30. It is possible to simultaneously use a skill in the Enchantment Slot and as an ability. If you are upgrading a certain skill and placing it in the Enchantment Slot, then the upgrade carries over to the slot.
How to unlock Enchantment Slots for Sorcerers in Diablo 4
To unlock the Enchantment Slot for Sorcerers you need to start the Legacy of the Magi Quest after reaching Level 15. This Quest is located in the Nevesk region, where you initially start the game. Check the map image above to see the exact spot where Mordarin is located. You need to visit this area and interact with the NPC to start the Quest.
Recover Forgotten Codex
Mordarin will instruct you to recover the Forgotten Codex from the Lost Archives. Inside the Lost Archives, you will face various enemies and must defeat two Demonic Vanguards. After defeating the enemies you'll reach the Axial Chamber where there are two Mechanical Pedestals.
Travel to Axial Chamber
At the center of the room in the Axial Chamber, you'll find the Necromancer's Coffin. To unlock the coffin, you must find two Mechanical Boxes and place them on the Mechanical Pedestals.
Activating the Necromancer's Coffin will start the Spiritcaller of Frost boss fight, and this can be a tricky one if you are under-leveled and unprepared. But before you can start this fight, you need to get the Mechanical Boxes to activate the Pedestals.
Mechanical Box locations in Halls of Knowledge
Both Mechanical Boxes are located in the Halls of Knowledge but in different areas. For the first one, go north from the Axial Chamber, through the Gateway of Knowledge. Check the image above to see the exact location of the first Mechanical Box. Pick up the Box and return to the Axial Chamber and place it on one of the Mechanical Pedestals.
For the second Mechanical Box, you need to travel through the southeastern entrance from the Axial Chamber. Defeat the enemies, pick up the box, and come back to the Axial Chamber to place it on a Mechanical Pedestal.
Where is the Forgotten Codex in Diablo 4?
The Forgotten Codex is located inside the Lost Archives towards the eastern side of the region. Check the yellow circle map image above to see the exact location of the Forgotten Codex in Diablo 4. You will face hordes of enemies in this room, so make sure to recover your health and ability cooldowns before entering this area.
Interact with the Dust-Covered Chest to recover the Forgotten Codex. Once that's done, you'll need to exit the Lost Archives and return to Mordarin. Give him the Forgotten Codex and enter the Abandoned Shack.
Light up the Braziers of Fire, Air, Earth, and Frost and interact with Mordarin to start the ritual. Once he finishes the ritual, you'll be attacked by a group of enemies, and you must defeat them quickly. After the enemies are defeated, Mordarin will give you the Forbidden Codex and the Enchantment Slot will be unlocked. You can only use one Enchantment Slot at the start, but after reaching Level 30 you can use both of them.
How to equip skills to Enchantment Slots in Diablo 4
After unlocking Enchantment Slots, you need to equip one of the available skills to the first slot. Open the Enchantment menu, and select the Skill you want to place in the slot. Click on the Skill and drag it to the open Enchantment Slot to equip it.
All Enchantment Slot Effects in Diablo 4
Before equipping any of the Skills in Enchantment Slots, you need to understand the passive effects to support your build accordingly. Here are all the Enchantment Slot Effects in Diablo 4.
Basic Skills Enchantment Effects
- Killing an enemy has a 10% chance to form a Crackling Energy.
- Fire Bolt
- Direct damage from Skills applies up to an additional 41 Burning damage over 8 seconds.
- Frost Bolt
- Direct damage from Skills applies up to 15% Chill.
- Arc Slash
- When you use a Cooldown, enemies around you are Stunned for 0.6 seconds.
Core Skills Enchantment Effects
- When you kill an enemy, they explode in a Fireball for 50% of its damage.
- Ice Shards
- Ice Shards automatically conjure and fly toward Frozen enemies.
- Chained Lightning
- Chain Lightning forms automatically, after spending 100 Mana.
- Charged Bolts
- Whenever you are hit, there's a 40% chance to release five Charged Bolts.
- Every 18 seconds, a Serpent spawns and Incinerates enemies for eight seconds.
- Frozen Orb
- Whenever you cast a non-Basic Skill, you have a 20% chance to launch a Frozen Orb at a nearby enemy.
Defensive Skills Enchantment Effects
- Flame Shield
- Flame Shield automatically activates when you take fatal damage. Can only happen once every 120 seconds.
- Frost Nova
- Lucky Hit: Your Conjuration Skills have up to a 30% chance to unleash a Frost Nova when hitting enemies.
- Ice Armor
- Upon getting hit, you have a 5% chance to apply Ice Armor.
- Evade is replaced with a short-ranged Teleport on a 17-second cooldown.
Conjuration Skills Enchantment Effects
- Ice Blades
- Every 40 seconds in Cooldowns you spend, you spawn Ice Blades on a random enemy.
- After spending 300 mana, a five-headed Hydra spawns for five seconds.
- Lightning Spear
- Absorbing Crackling Energy has a 10% chance to summon a Lightning Spear.
Mastery Skills Enchantment Effects
- Each time an enemy takes Burning damage, there is a 5% chance to spawn two Firewalls underneath them for three seconds.
- Every 15 seconds, a Blizzard comes over you and follows you for six seconds.
- Lucky Hit: Up to an 8% chance for a Meteor to fall on enemies.
- Ball Lightning
- Lucky Hit: Critical Strikes have up to a 25% chance to spawn a static Ball Lightning.
The Sorcerer class can be ridiculously fun to play around with, and we recommend leveling up quickly to unlock the first Enchantment Slot. While the second slot will take a while, keep investing in the Skill Tree to upgrade your abilities for maximum synergy.
Excited about Diablo 4 and looking for more related guides? Check out All Diablo 4 Launch Twitch Drops – How to get and what they are on Pro Game Guides.