Since its launch, Epic Games Launcher has gained a notorious reputation for not working as intended or not opening in several instances. While the exact reason for this behavior may vary from user to user, you can still implement some of the most common troubleshooting suggested by Epic Games to resolve the problem.
What are the most common reasons for the improper functioning of Epic Games Launcher?
The Epic Games Launcher may work partially or not open in the following situation.
- Scheduled maintenance
- During the launch of patch updates for Unreal Engine Software, Rocket League, or Fortnite
- During a high-usage period like Epic Game's sale or free grab
- Ineligible to meet Epic Games' minimum requirements
- Unstable Internet connection
Working Solution to fix Epic Games Launcher issues
Irrespective of the nature of the cause, you can deploy any of the following methods to fix the problem.
- Epic Games Server Status: Before doing anything, check whether the Epic Games servers are online and working by visiting the official Epic Games Server status page. If the servers are offline, there is nothing in your hand other than waiting patiently.
- Epic Games Launcher Updates: Manually check for any pending updates for the application from the settings menu. Click on the Profile icon in the top right corner and choose the Settings option. Now, click on the Restart and Update buttons if one is available.
- Update Display Driver: Make sure your graphic card driver is up to date, as Epic Games Launcher shows some abnormalities with old drivers.
- Disabling Fullscreen optimization: Epic Games Launcher tends to work as intended after disabling the fullscreen optimization. Right-click on the Epic Games launcher icon and open the properties menu. Under the Compatibility tab, check on the Disable Fullscreen Optimization checkbox.
- Running Epic Games with Admin Privileges: Sometimes, Epic Games does not open without Admin privileges. Right-click on the application icon and use the Run as Administrator option before launching the application each time.
- Clear Epic Games Launcher Web cache: Clearing Epic Games Launcher Web Cache may solve the issue as the data stored in the cache memory file may be corrupt. To do that, follow the steps.
- Press Windows + R and type in %localappdata% in the run box.
- Navigate till you find the EpicGamesLancher folder, and click the Saved folder inside it.
- Delete the web cache folder. Also, delete any other folder with the prefix web cache, if available.
- Restart your system and try to run Epic Games Launcher.
Remember, if the problem persists for more than two consecutive days, try to contact Epic Games to raise a custom ticket and solve the problem.
For more guides, check out Epic Games Store Free Games List – Schedule, Current and Upcoming Games or Why is multiplayer not working in Killing Floor 2 on Epic Games? on Pro Game Guides.