As one of the most popular games in the world, Fortnite can on occasion run into a hiccup on the server end. Most often, a server will either crash or have extremely limited functionality because too many people are trying to pull from it at once. Regardless of the circumstance, most players will see the dreaded Fortnite Server Offline error when they try to connect.
The way to fix this error largely depends on what is causing it. Since it is such a generic error code, it can often be impossible to tell. To figure out what to do, you must first determine whether the error is something on the server side or an issue with your home network. This can be done by visiting the Epic Games Public Status page, and checking to see whether or not the servers are actually down.
Once you've done that, you can follow the instructions in the options below to fix it.
- If the website says the Fortnite servers are not operational, your best option is to wait. You can wait as long as you want, but we would recommend logging out completely and waiting about 10-15 minutes. Alternatively, if there is an estimated timeframe in which the servers will be accessible again, wait until that time.
- If the website says the Fortnite servers are operation, this might mean you are the only person being affected by this issue and that the cause is within your network. Try some of the following steps to resolve the issue.
- Restart Fortnite. A clean reboot of the game solves the problem more often than you'd expect. Try this first.
- Troubleshoot your network connection. This is most easily done on your computer. Check to make sure you're connected, your signal is strong, and there isn't heavy data usage on the network already.
- Troubleshoot your router. Generally, the fastest way to troubleshoot a router is by rebooting it. However, there might be additional problems that could be stopping it from connecting like Firewall settings or IP Configuration.
That's all there is to solving this issue! The most common solution from the ones listed above is just to wait until the servers are operational again.
While you're waiting, check out our guide on How to Enable 2FA in Fortnite!