Whether players are new or old to the game of Minecraft, speedrunning works a lot differently from playing the game casually. The point of speedrunning is to use as many cheat-like bugs in the game to reach the end as quickly as possible. So we'll cover what the necessary steps are versus ones that just waste the player's time.
How to start a speed run
There are several things players will need to get as soon as possible once they spawn. Time is of the essence, so these are the most critical parts of speedrunning.
- Play in version 1.16.1 - This version has a higher rate of Ender Pearls being sold by the Piglins.
- Choose a Good Seed - This is one of the most crucial aspects to having an easier time speed running. Player's can use one of our best speedrun seeds here.
- Make a Stone Hoe - This allows players to quickly mine hay bales in the villages.
- Make an Iron Shield instead of a Sword - Swords aren't nearly as necessary to speed running, as there are alternative and more effective ways to damage enemies.
- Rebuild a Broken Portal - Broken portals are more common within the game than players might realize, they also will have a chest nearby with most of the supplies necessary to rebuild to portal instead of crafting one from scratch.
Before entering the portal in the Nether, players should pack up supplies beforehand, or even craft a quick base on the other side of the portal. These will be things like several loaves of bread, iron pickaxes, a chest, a bed, and a crafting table. This should be enough for the player to make their way through the Nether with a decent spawn location.
How to speed run in the Nether
Once players have entered the Nether, things get much harder. With difficult enemies around every corner, lava flows, and a strange sunless environment, players can quickly get lost.
- Find a Bastion before the Fortress - Remember that only one structure can form per 368 block quadrant, meaning that Bastions and Fortresses will never spawn near eachother. Bastions are more common and offer both Piglins and random chests, allowing players to quickly trade for neccesary items and collect armor.
- Trade with Piglins before Fighting Blazes - Piglins will often sell or drop Fire Resistance potions, allowing players an easier time when fighting the Blazes. Players should also try and buy several Ender Pearls to find the Stronghold and make Eyes of Ender.
- Fight the Blazes Efficiently for Blaze Rods - Players should remember that they will deal more damage the longer their swing is, and even better damage while falling with a long swing. Obviously, the better quality weapon the faster this process is, however, a stone axe is effective enough to defeat them with one jump swing and a standing swing. Making it the most cost-effective option.
- Create 12 Eyes of Ender - Players will need Ender Pearls and Blaze Powder to craft these eyes to fill in the portal within the Stronghold.
- Use Triangulation to Locate the Stronghold - Make a large triangle across the map with a couple of Ender Pearl throws to quickly reach the stronghold. Strongholds usually spawn between 1,200-2,500 blocks from 0.0.
- Stay Near the Spiral Staircase - Once players are inside the Stronghold, they'll want to look for the portal room. The further players drift from the staircase, the less likely they are to find the portal.
- Check for Hidden Rooms - Due to the way that Strongholds spawn, there are often completely hidden rooms with no entrance, these are likely to be found at the top of the staircase.
- Make a Spawn Point in the Portal Room - Place a bed in the portal room and sleep in it to create a new spawn point here to quickly reenter the Ender Dragon fight.
How to speed run the Ender Dragon Fight
Unlike in previous editions of the game, there is now only one real way to quickly kill off the Ender Dragon, and it's surprisingly simple. The technique is called One-Cycling. This will just require some obsidian and five or six beds.
Build the obsidian near the top of the post that the dragon drops down to. Set up the beds next to the obsidian. Then every time the dragon swoops down, activate the bed. This will cause an explosion that deals massive damage.
To deal the most damage, players will want to focus on doing this when the dragon's head is closest to the bed. This process should only take five to seven beds to complete, which makes it the end of the speedrun!
For more Minecraft content, check out How to start a Pillager Raid in Minecraft on Pro Game Guides.