Like all multiplayer video games, Roblox players have found that they will occasionally run into a problem where they can't connect to the website or their favorite Roblox game. This is common when the servers are under heavy stress because of a massive influx of connections, or because the equipment isn't working as it should. In this guide, we quickly explain the most common cause of this problem and how to get around it.
The most important thing to know is that there are two primary causes when you run into the dreaded Service Unavailable error: either a problem with the client (your device) or a problem with the service (the hosting platform). Roblox will have two separate hosting platforms, one for their website and one for their servers, so the solution to either can depend on which one you're trying to connect to.
Step One: Check the Status
You can't resolve the issue unless you know exactly what is causing it. So you need to see if the issue is on your end or theirs. Go to the Roblox Status Page to see if they are currently experiencing issues with their website or the servers. If you see a lot of red on the sight, it means things aren't working. If you see a lot of green, it means things are fine on their end. In the image above, you'll see that right at the top of the page it says All Systems Operational. If it says this when you visit the site, it means the problem is on your end.
Step Two: Fix the Issue
The list below provides the most common solutions to each situation you might find yourself in.
- Issues Reported for the Website
- You will need to wait until the website systems are operational, which is out of your control. Try checking the status in a few minutes. If it remains down, check back in a couple of hours. If you want to connect to a game, you can try connecting via their app if they have one for your device.
- Issues Reported for the Servers
- You will need to wait until the server systems are operational. You can still access the website features such as profiles, friends, etc., but you cannot play games until the resolve the issue at their end. Try checking the status in a few minutes. If it remains down, check back in a couple of hours.
- No Issues Reported
- The issue is on your end.
- If you're trying to connect to the website, check your internet status. If it shows that you're not connected or have connection errors, you must resolve those. Try general troubleshooting for your internet, then attempt to access the site again. If you are certain your internet is connected, try clearing the cache in your browser, refreshing the page, or using a different browser.
- If you're trying to connect to the servers, it's more likely to be a software issue. Be sure to set the appropriate firewall settings on your router. If that doesn't work, try resetting it. Try general troubleshooting for your internet connection, then attempt to connect again.
- The issue is on your end.
Unfortunately, the most common fix for this problem is giving it time to fix itself. If your internet connection is stable, it most likely means there is nothing you can do. Patience is a virtue!