Our World of Warcraft: Classic How-to Get a Mount Guide will walk you through the process of securing a mount as quickly as possible in the game! Getting a mount is quite an achievement in Vanilla WoW, and it's one of the big moments you will experience while leveling up.
Mounts have mostly been taken for granted in the standard version of World of Warcraft. If you're an old school player of the game, you remember the trudge of running around on foot, but you also likely remember the experience of the wind blowing through your hair once you've finally saved up enough gold to purchase one.
Differences Between Mounts in Classic & Retail
There's some big differences between the mounts you might be used to if you've been playing the currently updated version of World of Warcraft. First, there's no mount tab to find your noble steed. You keep the mount in your inventory. Second, the cast time is 3 seconds in Classic compared to the 1.5 seconds in the current version. Your mount can't swim, you will be dismounted if you jump into water deep enough to swim into. There's also no flying mounts available, so you won't be able to skip large parts of the map by soaring above them.
Mounts are bind on equip, so if you have a friend that has a discount for a mount you want, you can have them purchase it and they can trade it to you.
You'll need to be level 40 to train your ability to ride a mount. After that, you'll need to hit the max level of 60 to be able to learn the epic riding ability for the faster mount.
Riding Skills & Trainers
The first and cheaper part of the process is purchasing your riding ability. This should only cost you 20 Gold (16 Gold with discount) to get and enables your ability to ride a normal mount. You'll have to upgrade this skill in the future to ride the faster Epic mount.
You can only purchase the riding skill that corresponds with your race, unless you are Exalted with one of the other Race's factions. So, if you're an Undead, you'll only be able to purchase Undead Horsemanship and ride a Skeletal Horse until you upgrade your reputation with another faction.
Alliance Factions & Trainers
- Dwarf (Ironforge Faction): Ram Riding
- Trainer: Ultham Ironhorn in Amberstill Ranch (Dun Morogh)
- Gnome (Gnomeregan Exiles Faction): Mechanostrider Piloting
- Trainer: Binjy Featherwhistle in Kharanos (Dun Morogh)
- Human (Stormwind Faction): Horse Riding
- Trainer: Randal Hunter in Eastvale Logging Camp (Elwynn Forest)
- Night Elf (Darnassus Faction): Tiger Riding
- Trainer: Jartsam in Cenarious Enclave (Darnassus)
Horde Factions & Trainers
- Orc (Orgrimmar Faction): Wolf Riding
- Trainer: Kildar in The Valley of Honor (Orgrimmar)
- Tauren (Thunder Bluff Faction): Kodo Riding
- Trainer: Kar Stormsinger in Bloodhoof Village (Mulgore)
- Troll (Darkspear Trolls Faction): Raptor Riding
- Trainer: Xar'Til in Sen'jin Village (Durotar)
- Undead (Undercity Faction): Undead Horsemanship
- Trainer: Velma Warnam in Brill (Tirisfal Glades)
You can get yourself a 10% discount on your purchase if you are Honored with the faction you are purchasing a mount and training from. You can get an additional 10% discount if you are Rank 3 in PvP, but this won't be live until a future update (Phase 2).
Warlocks & Paladins
These two classes both can complete a quest chain that will give them a "free" mount. I put free in quotation marks because they still require a time investment to obtain the mount. Time is money friend! These classes also have a quest chain that will give them the faster mount at level 60, but both of these quests cost a considerable amount of gold. Those late game quests also won't be available until the Phase 2 update.
Where-to Purchase Mounts & Mount Styles
The mount seller should be right next to the person you got your training with. Each of these sellers will allow you to purchase a normal or epic version of a mount.
Mechanostriders (Gnome mount) can only be used by Dwarves and Gnomes!
Dwarf Seller & Mounts
Dwarven faction mounts can be purchased from Veron Amberstill in Amberstill Ranch at Dun Morogh.
- Brown Ram: 80 Gold
- Gray Ram: 80 Gold
- White Ram: 80 Gold
- Swift Brown Ram: 1,000 Gold
- Swift Gray Ram: 1,000 Gold
- Swift White Ram: 1,000 Gold
Gnome Seller & Mounts
Gnome faction mounts can be purchased from Milli Featherwhistle in Kharanos at Dun Morogh.
- Blue Mechanostrider: 80 Gold
- Green Mechanostrider: 80 Gold
- Red Mechanostrider: 80 Gold
- Unpainted Mechanostrider: 80 Gold
- Swift Green Mechanostrider: 1,000 Gold
- Swift White Mechanostrider: 1,000 Gold
- Swift Yellow Mechanostrider: 1,000 Gold
Human Seller & Mounts
Human faction mounts can be purchased from Katie Hunter in the Eastvale Logging Camp at Elwynn Forest.
- Pinto Bridle: 80 Gold
- Brown Horse Bridle: 80 Gold
- Chestnut Mare Bridle: 80 Gold
- Swift Brown Steed: 1,000 Gold
- Swift Palomino: 1,000 Gold
- Swift White Steed: 1,000 Gold
Night Elf Seller & Mounts
Night Elf faction mounts can be purchased from Lelanai in the Cenarion Enclave at Darnassus.
- Reins of the Spotted Frostsaber: 80 Gold
- Reins of the Striped Frostsaber: 80 Gold
- Reins of the Striped Nightsaber: 80 Gold
- Reins of the Swift Frostsaber: 1,000 Gold
- Reins of the Swift Mistsaber: 1,000 Gold
- Reins of the Swift Stormsaber: 1,000 Gold
Tauren cannot use Raptors or Undead Horses.
Orc Seller & Mounts
Orc faction mounts can be purchased from Ogunaro Wolfrunner in The Valley of Honor at Orgrimmar.
- Horn of the Brown Wolf: 80 Gold
- Horn of the Dire Wolf: 80 Gold
- Horn of the Timber Wolf: 80 Gold
- Horn of the Swift Brown Wolf: 1,000 Gold
- Horn of the Swift Gray Wolf: 1,000 Gold
- Horn of the Swift Timber Wolf: 1,000 Gold
Tauren Seller & Mounts
Tauren faction mounts can be purchased from Harb Clawhoof in Bloodhoof Village at Mulgore.
- Brown Kodo: 80 Gold
- Gray Kodo: 80 Gold
- Great Brown Kodo: 1,000 Gold
- Great Gray Kodo: 1,000 Gold
- Great White Kodo: 1,000 Gold
Troll Seller & Mounts
Troll faction mounts can be purchased from Zjolnir in Sen'jin Village at Durotar.
- Whistle of the Emerald Raptor: 80 Gold
- Whistle of the Turquoise Raptor: 80 Gold
- Whistle of the Violet Raptor: 80 Gold
- Swift Blue Raptor: 1,000 Gold
- Swift Olive Raptor: 1,000 Gold
- Swift Orange Raptor: 1,000 Gold
Undead Seller & Mounts
Undead faction mounts can be purchased from Zachariah Post in Brill at Tirisfal Glades.
- Blue Skeletal Horse: 80 Gold
- Brown Skeletal Horse: 80 Gold
- Red Skeletal Horse: 80 Gold
- Green Skeletal Warhorse: 1,000 Gold
- Purple Skeletal Warhorse: 1,000 Gold
Saving Up Gold
You'll need to have around 100 Gold at level 40 to pay for the training and purchase the mount. This is quite doable if you start immediately saving your money once you turn level 30. Make sure you have large bags (worth the investment from the Auction House), have a couple of gathering skills (at least one), and make sure to sell anything of any value on the Auction House. That's all you really need to do to get enough gold for your first mount. To gain the second mount, however, you'll need a lot more focused farming strategy. Be sure to check out our gold farming guide here.