Leaving tips on islands of friends and other visitors has long been a customary practice in Animal Crossing: New Horizons, but there has never been an official in-game system for it. It’s just been an online practice where players trust no one will steal anything.
That said, as of the 2.0 free update, there is a secure way to leave a tip on someone’s island: The Donation Box. It takes a bit of work to get your hands on one, but it is a nice touch. Here is how to get a Donation Box for your island and use it in Animal Crossing: New Horizons.
Getting a Donation Box on your island
- Buy the Donation Box DIY from the Nook Stop
- It cost 800 Nook Miles for the recipe
- You will receive it immediately
- Build a Donation Box
- Do this at any DIY workbench
- It requires 4 Wood and 4 Softwood to build
- (optional) Customize your Donation Box
- You can customize the box color and label design
- This can be done at a DIY workbench for 3 Customization Kits
- This can be done at Reese and Cyrus’ shop for 2,400 Bells.
- Place the Donation Box anywhere on your island that is accessible to others
- Having an empty space on at least one side it is required for player to interact with it
Using the Donation Box
When placed, players, including the island owner, can put Bell donations in the Donation Box in increments of 1,000. Nothing else can go in the box, and it can only hold Bells. Whether it is placed down or picked up and in your inventory, the island owner can withdraw funds from the Donation Box while nearby. Anyone can donate, but only the owner can withdraw.
It’s not the perfect solution to tip and donation security, as many players tip in things other than Bells or at much higher amounts, but it is a nice option for those that want it.
For more Animal Crossing content, check out How to get Crops in Animal Crossing: New Horizons on Pro Game Guides.