On May 6, 2021, Fortnite posted exciting news to their official website that they're starting a weekly event called Fortnite Wild Week. Wild Week emphasizes a specific mechanic in the game each week, to encourage players to use alternate strategies. We've just started Week 1, which focuses on Fighting Fire with Fire.
This week starts May 6, 2021 at 9am CST and ends May 13, 2021 at 9am CST. Here is the current schedule for the first four weeks of Fortnite Wild Week.
- Week 1: May 6, 2021 - May 13, 2021
- Week 2: May 13, 2021 - May 20, 2021
- Week 3: May 20, 2021 - June 3, 2021
- Week 4: June 3, 2021 - June 10, 2021
To start us off, here is the video posted on the Fortnite website.
Changes for Fortnite Wild Week 1
As referenced in the video above, Fortnite Wild Week 1 focuses on using fire as often as possible to gain an advantage on your opponents. Here are the major changes coming this week.
Perhaps the most notable change is that the Flare Gun has made a return! This gun has six uses only, after which you cannot get more ammo. It does 60 damage in a wide area. Once the ammo explodes after being fired, it scans a large area around you to reveal opponents and wildlife. The reveal does not work if it hits the ground or a wall before it explodes.
Fireflies and Flame Bows
To encourage people to use fire more often, Fireflies and Flame Bow spawn rates will greatly increase for this week only. Fireflies are the bugs flying around the island that can be captured in jars to be thrown at enemies and structures or used as a crafting material. Flame Bows are an Epic rarity bow that is crafted by combining a Primal Bow and Gas Can or Firefly Jar.
Fire is an underrate Fortnite mechanic, and few people utilize its potential until late in a match. Here are some helpful tips for this Fortnite Wild Week 1.
- Mark your enemies. Having the Flare Gun added to the game is huge. The fact that it marks your opponent's locations provides you a massive advantage over them, especially towards the end of the game. The best way to use it is to fire the Flare Gun into the air to make sure the ammo doesn't bounce before it explodes. Once it does, it will reveal all opponents in a large area around you, similar to the effects of a shakedown.
- Herd your enemies. It's often best to use fire to control and limit options for your opponents. If you throw fire to their right, you can easily predict they'll run to their left. It's also extremely helpful to keep your enemies out of their structures at the end of a match if they're made of wood.
- Use stone and metal. If you build a structure, use stone and metal as your building resources. These structures don't burn as long and are often still standing when the fire runs out. Wood, on the other hand, burns fast and will quickly set your entire structure on fire.
That's all you need to know about Fortnite Wild Week 1! If you have any additional tips, feel free to mention them in the comments below!
Did you know we have complete coverage of Fortnite Chapter 2 Season 6? Check out our Comprehensive Fortnite Chapter 2 Season 6 Guide for all the latest tips, guides, leaks, and cosmetics!