Being a modern single-player game, God of War Ragnarök has no shortage of difficulty settings to choose from. This allows it to cater to a very wide audience without watering down the experience for any one player. Are you just here for the story? There's an option for you. Did you enjoy the brutal combat of God of War (2018)? Ragnarök has you covered. Here's what your choices are for this go around.
All difficulty options in God of War Ragnarök
- Give Me Story: For players who want to experience the story with the least focus on combat.
- Give Me Grace: For players who want story-focused gameplay with some focus on combat.
- Give Me Balance: For players who want an adventure that's equally focused on story and combat.
- Give Me No Mercy: For those who want a more demanding combat experience.
- Give Me God of War: For those who want the game as difficult as possible, requiring god-like reflexes and strategy. This mode is only available from the start of a new game. This difficulty can be reduced mid-game but not reselected.
Note that you're not locked into a mode for your entire run of the game. You can always change this through the in-game settings. You absolutely can if you enjoy the story but want to ramp up the combat. The opposite is true. If you're getting absolutely brutalized by a boss, there's no shame in dropping the difficulty and just getting past it. It's your game—play it your way.
For more God of War goodies, check out All Stats in God of War Ragnarok & what they mean on Pro Game Guides.