Axolotls are adorable amphibian creatures added to Minecraft in the Caves and Cliffs update. Like many other Minecraft creatures, Axolotls appear with different color variations. There are currently five different Axolotl colors in-game, and three either removed or unreleased. Finding every Axolotl color variation can be challenging, but is possible with some luck and can be sped up by breeding Axolotl.
There are 4 common Axolotl color variations, which make up 99.2% of spawn rate chance. Each color has approximately 24.9% chance to spawn.
- Leucistic - Leucistic Axolotls appear with a light pink body and a darker pink trim.
- Wild - Wild Axolotls appear with a brown body and a darker brown trim.
- Cyan - Cyan Axolotls appear with a light blue body and a pink trim.
- Gold - Gold Axolotls appear with a bright yellow body and dark golden trim.
Related: How to Get Sponges in Minecraft
A rare Axolotl color variation can be very difficult to find because it only has a spawn rate of .8%. Finding one in the wild can be time-consuming, but breeding can speed up the process. The spawn rate remains .8% through breeding but can be done many times by feeding Axolotl what they like to eat.
- Rare - Rare Axolotl appear with a blue body, blue trim, and orange fins near its face.
Previous or Unreleased
Three color variations for Axolotls have been seen, but are not available in-game. These color variations were shown around the reveal of the Cliffs and Caves update, but have been either changed or unreleased.
- Pink - The original color variation for the Leucistic Axolotl appeared as a very light coral pink with a dark pink trim. The design was later replaced with the updated Leucistic colors.
- Light Brown - The Wild Axolotl first appeared as a much lighter brown body, but was later changed to the current Wild Axolotl colors.
- Green - The green Axolotl was briefly shown during a recap of the Cliffs and Caves update reveal, but is not available in-game. It is possible that the green variation may be added during the part 2 Cliffs and Caves update.
Collecting all five of the Axolotl color variation is a challenge, but finding a rare Axolotl can be one of the most exciting moments, given its rarity in Minecraft. Although Axolotl technically can not be tamed, they can be led, or picked up with a bucket.
Axolotls can make great companions in Minecraft and have very interesting abilities. Axolotls will attack every aquatic mob creature except dolphins and turtles, and can play dead during combat to gain a Regeneration status effect.
For more Minecraft guides, check out Where to Find All Ores in Minecraft 1.17 on Pro Game Guides.