After the opening of Pokémon Go's Great League in late August, players have to make some decisions on what teams they want to build and compete with. Players will need to pick from their top available Pokémon and combine their best strengths. Let's go over the top Pokémon that are able to compete at just under 1500 CP.
Top Competing Pokémon for Great League
This Water/Fairy-type Pokémon is an incredible fighter with its diverse nature.
- Strong Against - Dragon, Dark, and Fighting
- Weak Against - Electric and Psychic
- Best Moves - Bubble, Ice Beam, and Hydro Pump
- Alternative Water-Type Pokémon - Swampert and Jellicent
This Flying/Dragon type is one of the most powerful Dragon types available for this fight.
- Strong Against - Fighting, Bug, Fire, Water, Ground, and Grass
- Weak Against - Ice, Rock, Dragon, and Fairy
- Best Moves - Dragon Breath, Sky Attack, and Dragon Pulse
- Alternative Dragon-Type Pokémon- Zweilous and Reshiram
This pure Psychic type has some Fighting-type attacks, making it better able to deal damage to multiple types of Pokémon.
- Strong Against - Fighting and Psychic
- Weak Against - Bug, Ghost, and Dark
- Best Moves - Counter, Psycho Boost, and Thunderbolt
- Alternative Psychic-Type Pokémon - Medicham and Cresselia
This Ground/Steel type works particularly well against Fairy types.
- Strong Against - Normal, Flying, Bug, Steel, Psychic, Dragon, Fairy, Rock, Electric, and Poison
- Weak Against - Fighting, Ground, Fire, and Water
- Best Moves - Mudshot, Rockslide, and Earthquake
- Alternative Ground-Type Pokémon - Whiscash and Swampert
This Legendary Steel type has an incredible defense, as well as a lot of resistances, and it can easily be used as a shield for weaker Pokémon.
- Strong Against - Normal, Flying, Rock, Bug, Steel, Grass, Psychic, Ice, Dragon, Fairy, and Poison
- Weak Against - Fighting, Ground, and Fire
- Best Moves - Lock-On, Focus Blast, and Flash Cannon
- Alternative Steel-Type Pokémon - Bastiodon and Skarmory
Its high defense and decent stamina are what put this Dark type near the top of the list of contestants.
- Strong Against - Ghost, Dark, and Psychic
- Weak Against - Fighting, Bug, and Fairy
- Best Moves - Snarl, Foul Play, and Last Resort
- Alternative Dark Pokémon - Cofagrigus and Zweilous
This pure Grass type, Venusaur makes a great contestant against Pokémon like Azumarill and Swampert.
- Strong Against - Fighting, Water, Electric, Fairy, and Grass
- Weak Against - Flying, Fire, Psychic, and Ice
- Best Moves - Vine Whip, Frenzy Plant, and Sludge Bomb
- Alternative Grass-Type Pokémon - Meganium and Chesnaught
The pure Fairy type is the ultimate choice of Pokémon against Dragon types.
- Strong Against - Bug, Dark, Ghost, and Dragon
- Weak Against - Poison and Steel
- Best Moves - Charm, Ice Beam, and Play Rough
- Alternative Fairy Type Pokémon - Aloan Ninetails and Azumarill
Top Team Builds for Great League
As with any League battle, players will want to include a good mixture of Pokémon on their team to make it as strong as possible. Usually, a good team consists of many different types that counter one another. We'll relay the best options of teams based on the top competing Pokémon listed in the previous section.
- Azumarill, Galarian Stunfisk, and Altaria
- Deoxys, Umbreon, and Wigglytuff
- Venusaur, Registeel, and Aloan Ninetails
A grouping that has resistance to different types will be able to handle whatever type of Pokémon is thrown at them in battle. This diversity is the way to win, as long as you're also using high-HP Pokémon that output heavy damage.
For more Pokémon Go content, check out Pokémon Go: Can Chimchar, Monferno, and Infernape be shiny? Rates and how to get on Pro Game Guides.