Our Teamfight Tactics Economy Guide will walk you through how-to manage your gold properly in TFT! Learning when to roll for units and level up is one of the big skill determining factors, this guide should help you get better at this aspect of the game.
As you may have noticed, the current meta of Teamfight Tactics has reached a significantly faster pace as opposed to the first couple of weeks. Players are now often spending gold very aggressively, either by re-rolling early on for upgrades, or leveling up early for a higher chance to secure the more expensive units first, as there are a limited number of them in the whole game. This guide will explain the fast paced meta and how to use your gold.
Lose streaking is an unreliable strategy in TFT, as you take damage much too quickly to be able to keep losing while saving up gold to stabilize into the mid or late game. Because of this, players have now started to use their gold aggressively even as early as the first PVP round.
What does this mean for you? You have to spend your gold to keep up or you will fall behind and it will be extremely difficult for you to catch up.
The preparation phase of the first PVP round often goes one of three ways:
- You have a strong three units with one or two of them being at 2-star. You got pretty lucky, you can probably aggressively level up either this turn if you have the gold, or the next turn and seek to stay on a win streak.
- You have 3 or more pairs of units on your bench, but none of them are 2-star. You should probably re-roll to find one of them, or a strong three cost unit you can start trying to build a composition around.
- You have neither of the above, maybe only one pair of units. Try to go for whatever synergies you can, while leveling to 4. Unless you find a very strong start by the time the second carousel round comes around, you’ll want to make sure you’re at 8/10 XP away from level 5 BEFORE going into the carousel, this means that the next round you'll be at level 5, and will gain a chance to roll 4 cost units much earlier than most other players, which will gain you a sizable advantage.
The strategy of buying XP so that you’ll hit the next level at the start of the next turn is called ‘pre-leveling’ and often works best at levels 5 or 6, where you’ll be able to start finding 4 and 5 cost units respectively.
More Great Teamfight Tactics Content
- Teamfight Tactics (TFT) Best Shapeshifters Build & Team Comp (9.17)
- Teamfight Tactics (TFT) Evelynn Build & Team Comp (9.17)
- Teamfight Tactics Best TFT Imperial (Draven Carry) Team Comp Guide (Patch 9.15)
- Teamfight Tactics Best TFT Ranger Team Comp Guide (Patch 9.17)
- Teamfight Tactics (TFT) Best Items Guide (Patch 9.15b Update)
There will be almost no point in the game where you’ll be able to comfortably reach 50 gold, unless you have re-rolled early to secure an extremely strong composition, and you’re in a far better position than everyone else, or nearly everyone else in the game. At this point you may be able to reach 40 or 50 gold before you want to again aggressively level up or roll for more upgrades so that you’ll be able to stay ahead.
It is normal in this meta of TFT to be at 0 gold, rolling for upgrades every round until you hit them.
The key is you want to stay ahead, you want to use your gold to save your health, as this is how you will have the most consistent top 3 placings in Teamfight Tactics.