Just because VRChat is online doesn't mean that there aren't rules you should follow. The avatars that you see walking around the game are real people that have their own boundaries. If you are new to VRChat, then there are some unspoken rules that you should take note of.
Here are the most important rules to keep in mind in VRChat.
- Give other users personal space, unless otherwise stated.
- Don't claim ownership of avatars that you didn't make.
- If you wouldn't say it to them in person, don't say it over VRChat.
- Don't play your own music or videos without persmission.
- Don't ask for personal infromation, especially if it's someone's address or phone number.
- If you don't like a community type, simply stay out of the room—harrasment is not tolerated.
While the avatars in the game aren't real, you should still respect them and the person behind them. Trying to always be close, berating a player to talk to you, asking for personal details, and using touchy emotes is a no-go. If you are in a community room, don't start playing your own music or videos without permission—this will bother the other guests.
Likewise, be respectful of the artists who make the avatars, and don't claim that you made them. The community looks down upon art theft. You should also avoid any subculture's rooms that you don't enjoy, as trolling them to be "funny" will get you banned.
For more information on VRChat, check out How to find VRChat avatars & save your ‘favorites’ on Pro Game Guides!