Whether or not you're a longtime player of the ever-popular World of Warcraft, there's a chance you've run into your share of issues and bugs. One of these many issues revolves around your character and inability to log in regularly. The specific problems players are experiencing include "a character with the same name already exists" and "character already online."
How to fix “A character with that name already exists” in WoW
These issues occur only if players do not properly log their characters out of the server. To fix this, you can try out any of these three options:
- Try to log in using a different character and then completely log out and close the game before reopening and trying again.
- Reset and troubleshoot the game's user interface.
- Completely exit the game.
- Uninstall any addon managers to ensure that none of your removed addons are re-added again.
- In the Battle.net application itself, click on Options followed by the Show in Explorer option on Windows or the Reveal in Finder option on Mac.
- Open the folder where you keep World of Warcraft.
- Open the folder containing the specific game version that you are trying to troubleshoot (retail, classic_era, or classic).
- Rename the folders Cache, Interface, and WTF to CacheOld, InterfaceOld, and WTFOld.
- Re-launch the game so that the above changes can take effect.
- You may need to wait for 30 minutes so that the server can remove the character automatically due to inactivity.
For more World of Warcraft, check out When is the release date for World of Warcraft: Dragonflight? only on Pro Game Guides.