Phasmophobia has become a massive hit on Steam, as it has an overwhelmingly positive review scoring, and we do not blame it! Phasmophobia is a coop horror game where you or with friends become paranormal investigators and try to solve haunted locations' issues. Of course, you come equipped with a plethora of gear to figure out what type of ghost is causing the haunting; you can even have the dream job of being the chair guy and watch all the cameras for strange stuff occurring!
Kinetic Games have done a stellar job with Phasmophobia, and people are screaming for more updates, more content as they are hooked! What does Phasmophobia have in mind for future updates? Does it have any kind of future roadmap for content?
Kinetic Games had a Developer Q and A on their Discord, answering questions about themselves and Phasmophobia's future development. The dev teams having some extra hands, their vision for Phasmophobia can come into reality faster than ever.
Their main priorities for the horror game are to improve the overall gameplay and add new content, such as more evidence, main, optional objectives will be added, and of course, new ghost types to hunt. They want the game to be the best game it can possibly be before it comes out of Early Access. They have no other games in the pipeline until this happens.
Kinetic want's the horror to stay tense, pure and interesting. They are diving into how to make the game more terrifying to play, without resorting to cheap jump scares.
They are not adding mod support to the title because they have a vision for the game and don't want to disrupt the core values. More accessibility options are coming to the game, so people without microphones can interact with the ghost and all items that need a voice to work.
How they are handling beta updates is changing, and a complete overhaul/re-balance of the three difficulty levels is also being worked on. They aim to give each ghost a unique personality or "themed horror," so each hunt will be varied, harder, but more fun and engaging.
Each ghost could have it’s own set of “scares” and have it’s own kill animation / death room to match.cjdxn—Lead Artist
VR is getting framework update, to work with all newer headsets, and a seated mode is in the works.
The Small House map is the latest map to be released, leaving two more in the pipeline.
- The Mansion, which by the sounds of things, could be massive.
- The Apartment Building, so we think it'll be a smaller map for newer players to the game, or it might be based over in a complex, meaning it could ultimately become the biggest map in the game.
Kinectic Games are changing how they are working on updates, so main games users get the same benefits as those who opt-in for betas. This means that the Trello Board has been tweaked to show these new details.
The full patch notes can be found here: Phasmophobia: Patch Notes
New Exposition Update
The fine folks over at Kinetic Games have just released a huge update for Phasmophobia. The update is called Exposition and is the first of several named updates the developers plan to release for the game. Exposition has also added a ton of fixes, new content and has changed how the game works in several ways.
The full update patch notes can be found here: Phasmophobia Exposition Patch Notes – Everything coming in the Exposition
Here's a brief highlight of some of the fixes added below - more can be found in the patch notes above.
- Improve quality on Camera feeds (remove motion sickness)
- Make glowsticks last longer
- Make Ghost Writing easier to see
- Make DOTS happen more, and easier to see
- Fix ParabolicLots and lots of bug fixes
- Increase grace period before a hunt
There are quite a few overhauls coming to Phasmophobia since the dev team increased in size. The biggest is the Progression Overhaul, which consists of five different categories being reworked. This is all the stuff being worked on right now.
- Objectives Rework
- Optional objectives will be reworked to be more interesting, with varying rewards
- Leveling Rework
- Leveling will be completely reworked, with additional XP needed to reach higher levels
- Once at the level cap, you will have the option to reset your rank in favour of gaining a visual addition to your account (not decided as of yet)
- Old save file conversion will be removed
- Equipment Rework
- All equipment will have new visuals
- Most of the equipment is being rebalanced
- Most equipment will be upgradeable, adding new gameplay features and visuals
- Upgrades will only cost money to unlock, each "level" of equipment will cost the same (this means you can still use level one camera if you prefer the challenge or visuals)
- Some equipment will become consumable (similar to sanity pills), upgrades increase "uses" so you have to buy them less (matches > cheap lighter > Zippo)
- One equipment item has been reworked and will be used as a new evidence type (this also means reworking the current ghost types evidence)
- One equipment item has been reworked and will now be used to find extra physical evidence for extra rewards
- Money/Rewards Rework
- No one should risk their life for $10
- All money and rewards will be updated to accomodate for the new equipment reworks
- Finding the ghost type will reward the most money as it takes the longest
- More dangerous optional objectives will reward more money / XP
- Difficulty Rework
- Difficulties will be reworked and rebalanced to make them more engaging, as well as give experienced players something new and challenging to play
- Additional modiferes may be added to further increase the challenge and rewards (eg. 0% starting sanity)
This column is for ideas they are testing for a future game release.
- This is empty at the moment.
These are in the backlog of things Kinetic Games need to catch up on. These are things that will be added slowly over time, as other priorities take precedent, such as the In Progress column.
- General Changes or Additions
- New accessibility options (Colourblind, quick chat for ghost communication)
- Random weather chances on each map
- Increase uses for temperature (opening windows, heaters, moves ghost)
- Long term tracking player statistics (deaths, hunts, contracts, money in and out)
- Cursor customisation (size, icon, colour, transparency)
- Horror 2.0
- New Ghost Events
- Ghost Events Overhaul
- New Death Rooms
- New Death aniamtions
- Sound Overhaul/additions
- New Content Drop
- New Ghost Type(s)
- New Evidence Type(s)
- New Equipment Type(s)
- New Map(s)
- Core Systems Overhaul
- New Main Menu Room
- New Equipment layout for Van
- New Journal design
- UI Overhaul
- VR Overhaul
- Swap from OpenVR to OpenXR to allow support for new headsets and controllers
These are all the known bugs that will be fixed.
- Can't connect to servers if you are on a US University internet (VPN is only fix)
- Voice recognition stops working if you tab out (fixed by clicking the game icon on your taskbar)
- Microphone audio input volume is being forced to 100% when Phasmophobia is focused
- Host crashes when loading 4 player Asylum