Phasmophobia has become a massive hit on Steam, as it has an overwhelmingly positive review scoring, and we do not blame it! Phasmophobia is a coop horror game where you or with friends become paranormal investigators and try to solve haunted locations' issues. Of course, you come equipped with a plethora of gear to figure out what type of ghost is causing the haunting; you can even have the dream job of being the chair guy and watch all the cameras for strange stuff occurring!
Kinetic Games have done a stellar job with Phasmophobia, and people are screaming for more updates, more content as they are hooked! What does Phasmophobia have in mind for future updates? Does it have any kind of future roadmap for content?
Main Game Update
The second massive main game update has just hit Phasmophobia. Even though the Beta version of the game has been getting regular updates, Kinectic Games wants the main game patches to be as perfect as possible before it was released.
The full patch notes can be found here: Phasmophobia: Patch Notes
Next Beta Update
The next update for Phasmophobia is always in the works, and Kinetic games have updated the Trello Board to show fans what is coming in the next update. At this present time, there's a lot planned!
- Nothing at the moment
And the most important list of all, the In Progress list, what Kinetic Games are working on as of right now:
- Beta bug fixing and balance changing
This section is everything that has already been added to the beta version of Phasmophobia. At this current time, these are not in the main game, as the beta version is a testing ground to see if everything is working correctly. It can become bug-free. And when it is perfect, it'll be added to the main game for everyone to play.
- Allow players to hide behind furniture.
- Add an FPS (frame per second) when VSync is turned off.
- Optimize equipment, key, and bone spawning to prevent disconnects.
- Male all ghosts slightly faster over time if they are chasing a player (expect Revenant.)
- Don't make the Ghost move at the start of the hunt to stop confusion.
- Optimize Prison and School (loading times and FPS.)
- Make the Ghost fully open lockers and closets if the Ghost knows someone is in there (players will have to remain silent.)
- Add a delay for the next hunt attempt if the Crucifix blocks the hunt.
- Make the Ghost have a chance to remember the last known player location and check that area at the start of the next hunt.
- Add player volume options to the server screen.
- Add lockers and more hiding places to Grafton and Bleasdale.
- Replace the farmhouse foliage shaders.
- Equipment doesn't spawn if the host crashes when loading.
If you are interested in playing the beta, we have a guide on downloading it!
This section is everything that has already been added to the main game Phasmophobia. The main game is for those who do not want to dive into the beta and test out the constant stream of updates.
- Add new objectives
- Detect a ghost with a candle.
- Intermediate/Pro: Escape during a hunt with no deaths.
- Professional: Use a smudge stick while the ghost is hunting a player.
- Multiplayer: Get an average sanity of below 25 percent.
- Change the photo reward system to be a quality level based on distance rather than a random value.
- Add stats to the post game screen with information about the last game.
- Replace the save file system to prevent corrupt save files.
- Give each player a different color for the mini map and sanity monitors.
- Make the ghost blow out candles if they are close.
- Add bHaptics.
Phasmophobia has received many updates since it was first released. The Phasmophobia Trello Board is still constantly updated with new features and bug fixes that will be coming in the future. But they also have cards on everything they hope to add over the game's lifespan.
The Prison map is the latest map to be released, leaving three more in the pipeline.
- A Small House Level, about the same size as Tanglewood, will eventually come to the game.
- The Mansion, which by the sounds of things, could be massive.
- The Apartment Building, so we think it'll be a smaller map for newer players to the game, or it might be based over in a complex, meaning it could ultimately become the biggest map in the game.
These are in the backlog of things Kinetic Games need to catch up on. These are things that will be added slowly over time, as other priorities take precedent.
- Make a small house level (Tanglewood size)
- Add Weekly challenges
- Add new Daily Challenges
- Capture a three-star ghost photo.
- Capture a Dirty Water photo.
- Get the Ghost to hear your voice during a hunt.
- Make Daily Challenges harder
- Add more equipment
- Night Vision goggles — Will likely show ghost orbs, limited visibility.
- MEL Meter — Shows EMF and Temperature readings.
- SLS Camera — Shows stick figures on a camera. The camera screen will be in the truck.
- REM Bear — Toy Beare that plays sounds if the ghost interacts with it.
- REM Pod — A different kind of motion detector.
- Ovilus — Similar to the spirit box.
The To-Do list is mainly things that will appear after the backlog is completed or if there is any spare time for anything else. Here are the main elements being in this list:
- Add long term tracking stats.
- Add a single-player button that does not connect to the server - only connect to the server when clicking the lobby button - change "play" for multiplayerMake weather a random chance in all maps.
- Make the last journal page a group mechanic in the truck.
- Add a new leveling system that scales the exp per level.
- Add the journal to the main menu.
- Make the Ghost have a chance to throw objects towards the player.
There are a plethora of things being worked on, but the most notable is the potential addition of another game mode, where you play as the ghost. This is very akin to Left 4 Dead, when 4 players controlled the humans, and then 4 players control an array of zombies. If this mode comes to Phasmophobia, it will be an absolute hit, as AI can only work in so many ways, and with human knowledge, there could be an unbeatable ghost!