In the previous section of this guide, we covered How to Find the Rum Bottle Spyglass. This section will continue into the next part of the Tall Tale and explain how to use the Rum Bottle Spyglass to locate the additional notes and the Gunpowder Key. Further down, we will also provide the exact locations of each key and links to videos that show you exactly how to reach each platform.
Sea of Thieves | Art of the Trickster Tall Tale | Trapmaker's Gunpowder Key Riddles Guide and Locations
Before we begin, to do this part of the adventure, you will first need to obtain the Rum Bottle Spyglass. If you haven't done that, you can find the link to that guide section listed below. Alternatively, if you have already found the Trapmaker's Gunpowder Key, you can use the list below to skip to other sections of the guide.
- Sea of Thieves | Art of the Trickster Tall Tale | How to Find the Rum Bottle Spyglass
- Sea of Thieves | Art of the Trickster Tall Tale | Sailor's Bounty Traps and Battle Guide
- Sea of Thieves | Art of the Trickster Tall Tale | Vault Locations and Battle Guide
- Sea of Thieves | Art of the Trickster Tall Tale | Hidden Journal Locations
If you're still reading, that means that you are certain you're looking for the Trapmaker's Gunpowder Key. If you were hoping to solve the riddles yourself and simply look for guidance on using the Rum Bottle Spyglass, continue reading into Step One - Option One below. If, instead, you were looking for the exact locations and a guide to each possible riddle, you can find those below in Step One - Option Two.
Step One - Option One: How to Solve the Riddles on Your Own
So, you've obtained the Spyglass and aren't exactly sure what to do with it. The first and most important thing to note is which island the new notes tell you to go. This will be one of two options: Plunder Valley or Discovery Ridge. This Tall Thankfully, this Tall Tale doesn't require as much sailing as the other ones, but that doesn't mean it's any easier! Head to the island mentioned in the notes, and be ready for a new type of riddle.
In case you haven't noticed, the Rum Bottle Spyglass is unique in that, upon looking through it, it shows the shape of a skull and an X through its lens. This X is a crucial factor, as it will tell you where to dig when you're looking at the correct spot. Finding the correct spot is the trickiest part, but none-too-clever for the tricky Trapmaker.
To find where you're supposed to look, you'll first need to be looking for the Trapmaker Spots littered throughout Discovery Ridge and Plunder Valley. These Trapmaker Spots are white paintings on boards or rocks formed like a skull with three points above it. So now, the question is: how do you find those points?
Well, that's where the bad news comes in. If you were hoping to do this without spoilers, you have to do a lot of exploring and figure out where the spots are based on the map provided in the Quest Book pages. However, listed below are helpful tips to keep in mind when searching for these Trapmaker Spots.
- Not all of them are orientated correctly. Some of them are oriented with North on the left, right, or bottom. You have to figure out which way the maps are oriented to determine where they are compared to the landmarks shown.
- Pay attention to the rock formations. Some of the rock formations on the map are shaped in specific ways, usually accurate to the original. That is to say, a large oblong rock on the map will be a large oblong rock in the game.
- The placement on the map will determine the type of Trapmaker Spot. If the location of the Trapmaker Spot location on the map is on a rock, you will find the spot as a white painting on the rock itself. If the location is on anything else, you will find it as a white painting on a few dark boards. This might seem intuitive, but it can help you determine if you'll be looking for planks or a rock painting.
Once you've (hopefully) found the Trapmaker Spot, you'll need to look through the Rum Bottle Spyglass in the direction that the painting is oriented. You will need to match the eyes with landmarks that are reflected in the words of the riddle. For example, if the riddle says Caged inside a kind of brig, near broken urn a place to dig, you will need to match the eyes with a cage and a broken urn.
When you match the eyes with the landmarks, the X on the skull will show you where to dig. You will need to do this three times. The first two times you do it, you'll uncover Trapmaker Notes, and the last time you do it, you'll dig up the Trapmaker's Gunpowder Key!
This all might seem simple, but with the variety of Trapmaker Spots and the vagueness of the riddles, you might end up getting confused! If you can't find exactly where to look, continue reading Option Two below for the precise locations and video guides.
Step One - Option Two: Each Trapmaker Spot's Precise Locations
To make this easy, we have separated these by island and by riddle in alphabetical order. The videos provided show you exactly how to get to each island, or you can follow the images and basic descriptions for each spot.
Discovery Ridge Trapmaker Spots
Ancient people praise the sea, in ships they used a fabled key
- Location: Northern beach
- Objects to Match: Rock painting near the ocean of a man with his arms raised, part of a barrel
Deck and helm where once I stood, by stone now turned to drifting wood
- Location: Center of the island, near the peak
- Objects to Match: Planks, a round stone
Plundered supplies help my plight, friends of the sea fill my sight
- Location: Northern side of the ravine on the West side of the island
- Objects to Match: Salvage, rock painting of seahorses
Salvage and supplies steel my nerve, for gold and greed I have to serve
- Location: Western beach on the main island
- Objects to Match: Salvaged crate, Barrel
The red sun rises gifting light, the blue moon shines bright at night
- Location: Eastern beach
- Objects to Match: Rock painting of a red sun, rock painting of a blue moon
Through island waters I rowed in awe, spited by a fearsome jaw
- Location: Eastern beach
- Objects to Match: Salvaged rowboat, rock painting of a shark
Through leafy palms I stumble and tread, through rum and greed I lost my head
- Location: Near the main path on the southern half of the island
- Objects to Match: Base of a palm tree, headless skeleton
Plunder Valley Trapmaker Spots
Caged and trapped I may be bound, near ancient urn within the ground
- Location: Eastern beach
- Objects to Match: Cage, urn
Caged inside a kind of brig, near broken urn a place to dig
- Location: Southwestern beach
- Objects to Match: Cage, broken pottery
Crossed the seas now lost for days, I feel a red piercing gaze
- Location: Southeast of the center of the island, on the second level
- Objects to Match: Wooden salvage, rock painting of an eye
Dark creatures now awake, an ancient call for all our sake
- Location: Northern beach
- Objects to Match: Rock painting of a bat, rock painting of people playing trumpets
For forgotten people long we scour, in search of an ancient glowing power
- Location: Northern side of the ravine, near the West end
- Objects to Match: Rock painting of cave people, rock painting of a fire
Once soaring through the sky with pride, now crawling in the earth to hide
- Location: Northern side of the ravine on the southern half of the island
- Objects to Match: Rock painting of a falcon, rock painting of scarabs
Rum and gold drown my grief, ferried for an accused thief
- Location: Just West of the center of the island, near the top
- Objects to Match: Broken barrel, skeleton
Rum and sea forever my fate, iron serves a fiery hate
- Location: Eastern side of the island, just off the beach
- Objects to Match: Rum bottles, cannon
Salvage and wood to batten down hatches, closer now if viewpoint matches
- Location: Slightly North of the center of the island, near the top
- Objects to Match: Salvaged wood from a crate, broken barrel
Wood and iron may be the tools, to save my soul from greedy fools
- Location: Southern edge, on the middle level
- Objects to Match: Barrel, cannon
After finding three of the Trapmaker's dig spots, you will have uncovered the Gunpowder Key. This looks like an explosive barrel but is actually a weight that you must place on a stand on Sailor's Bounty. We'll cover that in the guide's next section: Sailor's Bounty Traps and Battle Guide!
Have you gotten the commendation for completing The Cursed Rogue five times? Since it's different each time, use our guide to help you!