Cuphead may look pretty, all decked out in 1930s-style hand-drawn animation. However, where it really shines is the precise and calculated combat system that makes the game feel both hard and fair. The various weapons and abilities you can buy from the store help bring variety and assistance into the boss fights. Here are the best weapons and abilities in Cuphead.
Best Weapons and Charms to buy in Cuphead
Before you even enter your first Boss Battle or Run & Gun stage, you will come across Porkrinds Emporium. It is here where you can use coins earned from the Run & Gun missions to buy new weapons or charms that give you special abilities. Below are the ones you should be looking to buy as soon as you can to make your fight against your foes easier.
- Spread - This attack shoots three lines of short-range projectiles in a cone in front of the player. This attack can put out a lot of damage. However, you must be almost on top of your target in order to ensure the projectiles hit.
- Chaser - This is a long-range weapon with below-average damage. Although it boasts lower damage than other weapons, its projectiles will lock on to enemies, essentially taking away the need to aim accurately.
- Charge - This weapon fires long-range projectiles that cannot be fired rapidly, meaning you must shoot each shot individually. The Charge weapon is arguably the most useful weapon in the base game because of the ability to charge your shot before firing in order to increase its damage.
- Bonus Heart - This Charm gives players one extra hitpoint at the cost of slightly lower overall damage. This is perfect for players who are not interested in beating the boss quickly and need the extra hitpoint to make it through the fight.
- Smoke Bomb - The Smoke Bomb Charm allows you to invisible dash. This means that you will not sustain damage during a dash. This charm is a must-have for all players and can get you out of sticky situations with ease.
- Coffee - This charm causes your Super Meter to continuously fill during a fight, in addition to the progress you earn while fighting. This is great for getting your Super ability charged quickly and closing out boss fights when your health is low.
Best Weapons and Charms in Cuphead Delicious Last Course
Cuphead's DLC content, Delicious Last Course, brought even more Weapons and Charms for players to try out. There are three new weapons and three new charms. Below are the best Weapons and Charms to pick up in Cuphead: Delicious Last Course.
- Converge - This weapon fires three lightning bolts in a cone shape that can span the entire area of the stage. It is a long-range, high-damage attack. It is great for hitting those large boss hitboxes.
- Crackshot - This weapon is a long-range straight shot with moderate damage. The projectiles fired will break into a smaller one that track an enemy. This makes it great for putting out more damage at times when you can't aim at the foe.
- Heart Ring - This charm causes the player to gain one hitpoint back every first, third, and sixth successful parries. This is a very powerful charm in the hands of someone great at landing parries.
- Broken Relic - This charm is unlocked after completing the Graveyard puzzle, and it gives players access to the secret boss. This relic doesn't do anything in a fight, but the secret boss fight is one of the game's best.
So there you have it, those are the best weapons and charms in Cuphead. As always, the game is totally playable and beatable without using anything mentioned above, it will just be much more painful if you choose to abstain from using these items.
For more Cuphead guides check out How to unlock All Secret Achievements in Cuphead right here on Pro Game Guides.