Submachine guns are designed for mid-range play, but they can also be manipulated for long-range play if you use the right SMG with the proper God Roll. Players might find this weapon class more useful for clearing adds in PvE game modes like Gambit or Vanguard, but that doesn't make SMGs useless in Crucible PvP. These are the best SMGs in Destiny 2, in no particular order.
The most powerful SMGs in Destiny 2
In PvP, Submission allows players to fire at longer distances than a typical SMG due to its above-average zoom. During PvE, Frenzy and Overflow work simultaneously to increase Submission's magazine size as well as the weapon's overall damage.
- PvP Recommended Rolls: Polygonal Rifling, Accurized Rounds, Overflow, Killing Wind
- PvE Recommended Rolls: Corkscrew Rifling, Tactical Mag, Overflow, Frenzy
- How to get: Vow of the Disciple Raid
Players should look to the Extraordinary Rendition for an SMG that prioritizes stability. Both rolls take advantage of this stat while ensuring increased damage across multiple kills.
- PvP Recommended Rolls: Corkscrew Rifling, Accurized Rounds, Zen Moment, Multikill Clip
- PvE Recommended Rolls: Corkscrew Rifling, Tactical Mag, Overflow, Rampage
- How to get: Battlegrounds arena playlist
This weapon combines damage over time with tracking bullets. The bullets that the weapon fires will track to the intended enemy, ensuring that almost all of your shots hit. The ones that do hit infect the target with a poison that continuously damages them over time. While there are better SMG options for PvP, the Osteo Striga can easily be considered one of the best PvE Submachine Guns.
- PvP Recommended Rolls: Smallbore, Accurized Rounds, Toxic Overload, Composite Stock
- PvE Recommended Rolls: Fluted Barrel, Tactical Mag, Toxic Overload, Composite Stock
- How to get: Craftable at The Enclave
This exotic SMG stands out because of its Ride the Bull perk. This perk gives the weapon an increased rate of fire and recoil while you're holding down the trigger. It also reloads a portion of the magazine each time you get a kill. And when you equip its Catalyst, you reload the entire magazine for each kill. The Fluted Barrel improves handling and stability while Rampage increasing the weapon's damage after earning a kill. The Huckleberry is one of the best SMGs for aggressive, up-close play in both PvE and PvP.
- How to get: Random Exotic World drop
Related: Best Hand Cannons in Destiny 2
The Ikelos is another SMG with a large pool perk, similar to Extraordinary Rendition. As a result, there is more versatility for each individual's playstyle, particularly in PvE. With all these options, it is possible to build both a mid/long-range Ikelos or a short-range Ikelos for PvP. For this guide, we went with mid to long range since the current meta places long-ranged play at an advantage.
- PvP Recommended Rolls: Extended Barrel, Accurized Rounds, Dynamic Sway Reduction, Vorpal Weapon
- PvE Recommended Rolls: Corkscrew Rifling (or Polygonal Rifling), Extended Mag, Subsistence, Demolitionist (or Surrounded)
- How to get: Purchasable from Xur on occasion
Riskrunner is the second exotic SMG on this list. Its exotic perk is Arc Conductor, which activates upon taking damage. For a brief time, the weapon resists incoming Arc Damage while all kills extend the perk's duration. The additional Superconductor perk also has a chance to turn ammo into chain lightning and return any shots fired back to the magazine. Mid-to-short-range play provides the best advantage with this SMG.
- How to get: Complete Pain and Gain exotic quest
One of the best SMGs on this list is the Funnelweb. This weapon was introduced with The Witch Queen expansion and has since become one of the most popular SMG choices. It's a fast-firing Veist SMG that is eerily similar to the Recluse, which ruled over Destiny 2's second and third years. This weapon excels in PvE. However, the right perks can make it strong in PvP as well.
- PvP Recommended Rolls: Fluted Barrel, Accurized Rounds, Killing Wind, Rangefinder
- PvE Recommended Rolls: Smallbore, Tactical Mag, Subsistence, Adrenaline Junkie
- How to get: Legendary and World Engrams
Shayura's Wrath (Adept)
Shayura's Wrath is one of the best for long-ranged PvP. Players can get this weapon up to Auto-Rifle range when landing the proper roll. Paired with the long-range advantage are the two reload benefits from Tunnel Vision and Kill Clip. With the PvP roll, you'll track enemies easier and gain additional damage after reloading from a kill.
- PvP and PvE Recommended Roll: Hammer-Forged Rifling, Accurized Rounds, Tunnel Vision, Kill Clip
- How to get: Flawless chest completion in the Trials of Osiris Lighthouse.
The fourth exotic SMG on this list, Tarrabah is a good weapon for typical mid-ranged play. Ravenous Beast is the Tarrabah's exotic perk, which serves as a type of "super" not often granted to weapons. As you give and take damage, the Tarrabah begins to glow. Once the weapon fully glows, holding the reload button will unleash massive power. If you're strong at managing this perk's resources, you'll have the advantage in mid-to-close ranged PvP and PvE play.
- How to get: Purchasable from the Forsaken Exotics tab in the Monument to Lost Lights
For more Destiny 2 content, check out Destiny 2: Fatebringer Best God Roll, Stats, and How to Get and All Destiny 2 DLCs and Expansions on Pro Game Guides.