The City of Hidden Runes is a Genshin Impact Domain that you'll encounter in the quest called Danger All Around. This is the third part of the Archon Quest Interlude Chapter: Act II - Perilous Trail, which you can initiate after completing the following prerequisites:
- Archon Quest Chapter I: Act III - A New Star Approaches
- Raiden Shogun Story Quest Imperatrix Umbrosa Chapter: Act II - Transient Dreams
- Arataki Itto Story Quest Taurus Iracundus Chapter: Act I - Rise Up, Golden Soul
- The Chasm World Quest Wherefore Did the Spiritstone Descend? (part of The Chasm Delvers questline)
- Serenitea Pot World Quest A Teapot to Call Home: Part I
During the Perilous Trail event from May 31, 2022, to June 20, 2022, you can start the Interlude Chapter without completing the Story Quests and Serenitea Pot World Quest above by clicking on the Quick Start button in the event menu.
How to Solve the City of Hidden Runes Puzzle
In the City of Hidden Runes, you'll find a clearing with four Elemental Runes and corresponding Phase Gates behind each of them. For example, the Phase Gate behind the Hydro Rune will transport you to the clearing with the Hydro puzzle. You need to complete all four puzzles to clear the Domain but they can be done in any order.
Approach a Phase Gate to get transported to another clearing. While being transported, don't click anything to prevent dying.
Part One: Light Up Small Symbols
The first part of the puzzle requires you to light up small Runes. Do so by stepping on the correct symbols that correspond to each Element. Reference the image above for the correct symbols to step on for each Element.
After completing this part, the small symbols will disappear, and Geovishaps will spawn. Defeat them to reveal Lightshapers, which are small mechanisms that spill light into the sky.
Part Two: Use Lightshapers to Activate Large Symbols
Each platform will contain two Lightshapers that operate two sets of light. Your goal is to align the lights against the large symbols to activate them. Use the following commands to control the lights:
- Directional keys—adjust the position of the lights.
- Elemental Skill button—rotate the lights clockwise.
- Elemental Burst button—rotate the lights counterclockwise.
- Use the Lightshaper that controls the lights on the left (longer distance) to activate the symbols on the bottom right.
- Interact with the second Lightshaper to control the lights on the right (shorter distance). These will activate the symbols on the left.
- Use the Lightshaper that controls the left side (shorter distance) to activate the top two symbols.
- Interact with the second Lightshaper (longer distance) to activate the two symbols at the bottom.
- Use the Lightshaper that controls the left side (shorter distance) to activate the symbols on the left.
- Interact with the second Lightshaper that controls the right side (longer distance) to activate the symbols on the right.
- Use the Lightshaper that controls the left side (longer distance) to activate the top and bottom Anemo symbols.
- Interact with the other Lightshaper that controls the right side (shorter distance) to activate the two Anemo symbols diagonally positioned on the right.
Use the Phase Gates to navigate the map. After completing all four puzzles, the Interlude Chapter will continue.
Check out our guide on How to complete the Chamber of Twisted Cranes in the Genshin Impact Perilous Trail event to solve the first Domain in the Interlude Chapter.