Grimhorn are extremely dangerous foes in Horizon Forbidden West. They are a modified version of the Plowhorn that is made to fight with extreme aggression. An easy way to get an advantage in a fight against a Grimhorn is to take out their Horns first. This will massively reduce the effectiveness of their Fire elemental attacks and make the rest of the fight much easier.
Strengths and Weaknesses
Players can attack machines with different kinds of elemental attacks. Elemental attacks in the game include Fire, Shock, Frost, Plasma, Purgewater, and Acid. The Grimhorn will be weak to damage from Purgewater and Acid attacks. They are strong against damage from Fire and Shock attacks.
There are a few different body parts on a Grimhorn but each one will drop different loot and deal different amounts of damage to the machine when attacked by players. The body parts on a Grimhorn are:
- Blaze Sac
- Cluster Launcher
- Tail Clamp
- Tail Capsule
Machines in Horizon Forbidden West will drop different loot items, with many being specific to each kind of machine. Some can be looted from a fallen machine, while others will need to be removed (shot off with an arrow or removed with a hit from the spear) while the machine is still alive. The Grimhorn will drop a long list of loot items:
- Metal Shards (Common) - Dropped from Body
- Piercing Spike (Rare) - Dropped from Body
- Blaze (Common) - Dropped from Body and Blaze Sac
- Sturdy Hardplate (Common) - Dropped from Body and Tail Capsule
- Braided Wire (Common) - Dropped from Body and Tail Capsule
- Machine Muscle (Uncommon) - Dropped from Body
- Plowhorn Circulator* (Uncommon) - Dropped from Body and Tail Capsule
- Medium Machine Core (Rare) - Dropped from Body and Tail Capsule
- Plowhorn Primary Nerve* (Uncommon) - Dropped from Body
- Metal Bone (Rare) - Dropped from Body
- Plowhorn Horn (Legendary) - Dropped from Horns
- Useable Weapon (Very Rare) - Dropped from Cluster Launcher
- Blastpaste (Rare) - Dropped from Tail Capsule
*Loot items marked with an asterisk are exclusively dropped from the Grimhorn machine.
In Horizon Forbidden West, Cauldrons allow players to override the machines within that Cauldron once they have completed it. Completing a Cauldron usually means traversing through its dungeon-like corridors and facing off against a boss at the end. The Grimhorn is a part of the TAU Overrides Cauldron.
Interested in other machine guides in Horizon Forbidden West? Check out How to defeat the Slitherfang in Horizon Forbidden West on Pro Game Guides!