In Horizon Forbidden West, Tiderippers are menacing opponents who can attack players in water and land. Because of this, they pose a real threat and are one of the toughest enemies to take down in the game. An easy way to put the Tideripper on a level playing field with Aloy is to remove some of its attacks or Purgewater effects. You can do this by targeting and taking out a few key body parts.
The Purgewater Pouch will remove the Purgewater effect from some of the machine's attacks, and the Purgewater Cannon, Tail, and Tidal Discs will all stop certain attacks from happening when they are removed. This will allow players more opportunity to dodge some of the slower attacks left in its arsenal and avoid any extra effect damage from the machine's Purgewater.
Strengths and Weaknesses
Players can attack machines with different kinds of elemental attacks. Elemental attacks in the game include Fire, Shock, Frost, Plasma, Purgewater, and Acid. Tiderippers will be weak to damage from Shock and Frost attacks. They will also be strong against damage from Fire and Purgewater attacks.
There are many different body parts on a Tideripper, and each one will drop different loot and deal different amounts of damage to the machine when attacked by players. The body parts on a Tideripper are:
- Processing Capsule
- Purgewater Cannon
- Purgewater Pouch
- Tail Canister
- Chillwater Canister
- Tidal Disc
- Exhaust Port
- Glowblast Canister
- Purgewater Sac
Machines in Horizon Forbidden West will drop different loot items, with many being specific to each kind of machine. Some can be looted from a fallen machine, while others will need to be removed (shot off with an arrow or removes with a hit from the spear) while the machine is still alive. The Tideripper will drop a long list of loot items:
- Metal Shards (Common) - Dropped from Body
- Purgewater (Uncommon) Dropped from Body, Purgewater Pouch, and Purgewater Sac
- Large Machine Core (Rare) - Dropped from Body, Processing Capsule, and Tail Canister
- Tideripper Circulator* (Uncommon) - Dropped from Body
- Tideripper Primary Nerve* (Rare) - Dropped from Body, Processing Capsule, Tail Canister, and Antenna
- Volatile Sludge (Very Rare) - Dropped from Body
- Machine Muscle (Uncommon) - Dropped from Body
- Braided Wire (Common) - Dropped from Body, Processing Capsule, Purgewater Cannon, Tail Canister, Antenna, and Tidal Disc
- Crystal Braiding (Very Rare) - Dropped from Body and Purgewater Cannon
- Luminous Brainstem (Very Rare) - Dropped from Body, Processing Capsule, and Tidal Disc
- Metal Bone (Rare) - Dropped from Body
- Sturdy Hardplate (Common) - Dropped from Body, Processing Capsule, Purgewater Cannon, Tail Canister, Antenna, and Tidal Disc
- Blastpaste (Rare) - Dropped from Processing Capsule and Tail Canister
- Chillwater (Uncommon) - Dropped from Chillwater Canister
- Tideripper Tail Fin* (Very Rare) - Dropped from Tail
- Sparker (Common) - Dropped from Sparker
- Glowblast (Uncommon) - Dropped from Glowblast Canister
*Loot items marked with an asterisk are exclusively dropped from the Tideripper machine.
In Horizon Forbidden West, Cauldrons allow players to override the machines that are within that Cauldron once they have completed it. Completing a Cauldron usually means traversing through its dungeon-like corridors and facing off against a boss at the end. The Tideripper is a part of the Kappa Overrides Cauldron.
Interested in other machine guides in Horizon Forbidden West? Check out How to defeat the Slitherfang in Horizon Forbidden West on Pro Game Guides!