Mario Golf: Super Rush was released on June 25, 2021, and with it came classic and new game modes. One of the game modes that many of us are unfamiliar with is Speed Golf, which pits you against up to three other players and NPCs in a race to sink your balls the fastest. In this guide, we explain all the basic information you need to know to make the best of this fast-paced method of play.
As mentioned above, Speed Golf is (as the name suggests) fast-paced. Your primary goal in any round is to use any means necessary to sink your ball into the hole before anyone else. Up to four players can play in a match and all play the round at the same time (you don't take turns). All players can use their Special Dashes and Special Shots to improve their chances of winning a round by disorienting other players.
At the end of the match, the winner is determined by the method you chose at the beginning of the match: either by highest score (number of holes won) or fastest time (the total number of time it took you to sink all your shots).
There are two different formats to choose from in a match and the type you choose could require you to adjust your play style. They are both listed below.
- Best Time: In this format, the game keeps track of the total time you took to sink your ball for all courses. Because this one focuses on speed, it might be best to make that your primary focus in each round and to use your abilities to help you reach that goal. The player with the lowest total time accumulated over all holes wins.
- Best Score: In this format, the game keeps track of how many points you accumulated, which is determined by which order you sink your ball on each hole. This format still requires you to quickly make it through each match, but it might be better to use your abilities to distract or disorient other characters, focusing on players who have already won a significant amount of holes. The player with the most points at the end of the match wins.
Setting up the Game
If you are setting up the game, you are given many options to adjust it. The list below provides an outline of each setting you can change.
- Players: Up to four. Only two players can play on a single Switch console.
- Course: Player choice between six courses or a random selection.
- Holes: Player choice between 3, 6, 9, or 18 holes. Players can also select which hole to start at on a course.
- Format: Best Time or Best Score.
- Start Advantage: Allow advantages based on stats in the game. Can be set to allow players with higher total time or lower total points to have a head-start in each round.
- Special Shots: On or off.
- Wind: Allows the player to select how strong they want the wind to blow, which can alter all players' techniques.
- Character Restrictions: When you start a match, you are given the option to select your character. It's recommended you experiment with all characters to find which one best fits your play style. When a host is setting up the game, they can adjust to allow or disallow Miis.
That's all there is to know about Speed Golf in Mario Golf: Super Rush!
We're providing complete coverage of Mario Golf: Super Rush! Check out our list of All Mario Golf: Super Rush Characters.