Back in the early days of Minecraft, there were only three Strongholds per world. Since then, there have been many updates that have altered the world generation, with Strongholds being part of that. This leads to players wondering exactly how many there are. The answer to this depends entirely on which version of Minecraft you are playing.
In Bedrock Edition, the amount of Strongholds is only limited by the space of the world. They have no set distance from each other or the spawn point, so they can generate together. Technically, this means there is no set amount of Strongholds, and how many you have in your world is entirely random.
Related: Best Minecraft Puzzle Maps 1.16
In Java Edition, there is a hard cap at 128 Strongholds. These generate in varying amounts in rings around coordinates x0, y0. The number of Strongholds that generate in each ring depends on the radius. The list below details how many Strongholds can be found within each ring's distance.
- 1,280-2,816 Blocks from x0, y0: 3 Strongholds
- 4,352-5,888 Blocks from x0, y0: 6 Strongholds
- 7,424-8,960 Blocks from x0, y0: 10 Strongholds
- 10,496-12,032 Blocks from x0, y0: 15 Strongholds
- 13,568-15,104 Blocks from x0, y0: 21 Strongholds
- 16,640-18,176 Blocks from x0, y0: 28 Strongholds
- 19,712-21,248 Blocks from x0, y0: 36 Strongholds
- 22,784-24,320 Blocks from x0, y0: 9 Strongholds
That's all there is to know about how many Strongholds generate in a Minecraft world! Be sure to check out our Minecraft homepage for more great guides!