Fishing in Sea of Thieves was implemented into the game in April of 2019 as a fun new mechanic for the game. Soon afterward, a new group was added that issues quests primarily focused on catching and selling them various fish across the sea. This guide explains the process of catching them and where you can sell them.
Sea of Thieves Fishing Guide: How to Catch and Sell Fish
Surprisingly enough, catching a fish in Sea of Thieves isn't as simple as many other games. When you initially hook one, they'll squirm and struggle to get away, and you need to counter their movements to reel them in. Not to worry, though! When you read this guide, you'll understand how to do this and become a pro angler in no time.
Step One: Equip your Fishing Line
Step one is the easiest part and just requires a few button presses. You'll see what you need to do based on which platform you're playing the game in the lists below.
- Open your equipment menu by holding down Q, then press F to move to the next page.
- Highlight the fishing rod in the bottom slot and click.
- Optional: Add bait to your fishing line by opening your inventory with Q again. Then press R to open the menu and select the bait you'd like to attach.
- Open your equipment menu by holding down the left bumper, then press X to move to the next page.
- Highlight the fishing rod in the bottom slot and equip it with the right bumper.
- Optional: Add bait to your fishing line by opening your inventory with the left bumper again. Then press B to open the menu and select the bait you'd like to attach.
Step Two: Catch the Fish
This part is tricky and can be frustrating the first couple of times if you don't know the mechanics. We've provided instructions below to catch the fish once you've cast your line.
- Wait for a fish to bite. The time here varies, but generally, a fish bites within a minute or two. You can tell which fish is interested in your hook because it will usually move more erratically and jump out of the water once or twice.
- Once it bites, counter its movements. Don't start to reel it in right away, as that is the quickest way to break the line. You need to move your line with the mouse or the analog stick in the opposite direction that the fish is moving. If it moves left, you move it right. If it moves right, you go left. If it tries to move outward (away from you), you pull the line down.
- Keep doing this until it's tired. You can tell when it is tired because it will stop splashing and remain docile. This is when you should reel it in.
- Reel it in by holding down the primary use button for your mouse or controller. If it starts struggling and splashing again, immediately stop reeling it in and start to counter its movements again.
- Repeat as necessary until you catch the fish.
Step Three: Sell it for rewards!
You can sell the fish raw, undercooked, cooked, and over-cooked. Selling it to The Hunter's Call representatives when it's perfectly cooked will net you the biggest reward for that particular fish type. However, selling it overcooked will earn you the lowest reward, so be sure to check how long each fish takes to cook properly. Listed below are The Hunter's Call representatives' names and locations willing to purchase fish from you.
- Aifrick: Roaring Traders - U20
- Annick: Three Paces East Seapost - S9
- Derrick: The Finest Trading Post - F17
- Emerick: The Wild Treasures Store - O4
- Hendrick: The Spoils of Plenty Store -B7
- Merrick: Stephen's Spoils -L16
- Serik: The North Star Seapost - H10
- Zharick: Brian's Bazaar - Y12
Once you master your fishing skills, you'll find this is a decent and fun way to pass the time while you and your crew are sailing across the ocean. It can also land you a lot more income as you do other quests, so be sure not to let those fish spoil in the ocean!