If you want to make solar panels or solar arrays, you will need to get copper through smelting. Here's everything you need to know.
Where to get Copper in Astroneer
To get copper in Astroneer, you need to smelt malachite via a smelting furnace by putting the material inside it. To get malachite, you will need to travel to either the planets Calidor or Sylva, and dig underground.
Once underground, you can find malachite real easy as it can only spawn on these two planets. You can also tell you found malachite by its brownish-green texture. Alternatively, you can also trade scrap for the malachite via a trading platform you can build with the following resources via a medium printer.
- One Tungsten
- One Iron
- One Compound
Either way will work to get malachite. We also highly recommend the trade platform if you don't want to travel all the way to a new planet. But once you get the malachite, you will be able to smelt it via an attached storage container when you build a smelting furnace with two resin and one compound.
After this, let the furnace finish cooking, and you will get the copper you need for various items in the game, all of which will be listed down below, along with what module they require to craft.
- Aluminum Alloy - Requires a Chemistry station.
- Extenders - Requires a Backpack Printer.
- Worklight - Requires a Backpack Printer.
- Small Solar Panel - Requires a Backpack Printer.
- Solar Array - Requires a Large Printer.
- Power Sensor - Requires a Small Printer.
- Splitter - Requires a Small Printer.
- Medium Solar Panel - Requires a Small Printer.