Rollerbacks are armadillo-like machines that can do devastating damage with their large bludgeoning tails. Taking their Hammer Tail out as soon as possible will make battles against them far less dangerous and will be the best way to ensure victory over the Rollerback.
Strengths and Weaknesses
Players can attack machines with different kinds of elemental attacks. Elemental attacks in the game include Fire, Shock, Frost, Plasma, Purgewater, and Acid. The Rollerback will be weak to damage from Acid attacks. They are strong against damage from Frost and Shock attacks.
There are a few different body parts on a Rollerback, but each one will drop different loot and deal different amounts of damage to the machine when attacked by players. The body parts on a Rollerback are:
- Adhesive Sac
- Resource Core
- Cargo Holders
- Cooling Block
- Gravity Generator
- Acid Canister
- Hammer Tail
Machines in Horizon Forbidden West will drop different loot items, with many being specific to each kind of machine. Some can be looted from a fallen machine, while others will need to be removed (shot off with an arrow or removes with a hit from the spear) while the machine is still alive. The Rollerback will drop a long list of loot items:
- Metalbite (Common) - Dropped from Body and Acid Canister
- Metal Shards (Common) - Dropped from Body
- Blastpaste (Rare) - Dropped from Body, Resource Core, Cooling Block, and Gravity Generator
- Crystal Braiding (Very Rare) - Dropped from Body and Gravity Generator
- Sturdy Hardplate (Common) - Dropped from Body, Resource Core, and Cooling Block
- Rollerback Circulator* (Uncommon) - Dropped from Body
- Machine Muscle (Uncommon) - Dropped from Body
- Medium Machine Core (Rare) - Dropped from Body and Resource Core
- Rollerback Primary Nerve* (Rare) - Dropped from Body, Resource Core, and Cooling Block
- Braided Wire (Common) - Dropped from Body, Resource Core, and Cooling Block
- Metal Bone (Rare) - Dropped from Body
- Stickpaste (Uncommon) - Dropped from Adhesive Sac
- Rollerback Hammer Tail* (Legendary) - Dropped from Hammer Tail
*Loot items marked with an asterisk are exclusively dropped from the Rollerback machine.
In Horizon Forbidden West, Cauldrons allow players to override the machines that are within that Cauldron once they have completed it. Completing a Cauldron usually means traversing through its dungeon-like corridors and facing off against a boss at the end. The Rollerback is a part of the IOTA Overrides Cauldron.
Interested in other machine guides in Horizon Forbidden West? Check out How to defeat the Slitherfang in Horizon Forbidden West on Pro Game Guides!