Sunwings are pesky machines and can be a real pain to take down. They have the ability to attack from the air or ground and will shoot players with Plasma elemental attacks. This can do devastating amounts of damage. Taking out the Plasma Fin on top of their head will cause an explosion, damage the machine, and disable any plasma attacks.
Strengths and Weaknesses
Players can attack machines with different kinds of elemental attacks. Elemental attacks in the game include Fire, Shock, Frost, Plasma, Purgewater, and Acid. The Sunwing will be weak to damage from Purgewater attacks. They are strong against damage from Plasma attacks.
There are a few different body parts on a Sunwing but each one will drop different loot and deal different amounts of damage to the machine when attacked by players. The body parts on a Sunwing are:
- Plasma Fin
- Shield Caster
- Resource Container
Machines in Horizon Forbidden West will drop different loot items, with many being specific to each kind of machine. Some can be looted from a fallen machine, while others will need to be removed (shot off with an arrow or removes with a hit from the spear) while the machine is still alive. The Sunwing will drop a long list of loot items:
- Metal Shards (Common) - Dropped from Body
- Glowblast (Uncommon) - Dropped from Body
- Crystal Braiding (Very Rare) - Dropped from Body and Plasma Fin
- Braided Wire (Common) - Dropped from Body, Plasma Fin, and Resource Container
- Sunwing Circulator* (Uncommon) - Dropped from Body
- Sturdy Hardplate (Common) - Dropped from Body, Plasma Fin, and Resource Container
- Machine Muscle (Uncommon) - Dropped from Body
- Medium Machine Core (Rare) - Dropped from Body and Resource Container
- Sunwing Primary Nerve* (Rare) - Dropped from Body and Resource Container
- Volatile Sludge (Very Rare) - Dropped from Body
- Metal Bone (Rare) - Dropped from Body
- Sunwing Shield Caster* (Rare) - Dropped from Shield Caster
- Blastpaste (Rare) - Dropped from Resource Container
- Sparker (Common) - Dropped from Sparker
*Loot items marked with an asterisk are exclusively dropped from the Sunwing machine.
In Horizon Forbidden West, Cauldrons allow players to override the machines within that Cauldron once they have completed it. Completing a Cauldron usually means traversing through its dungeon-like corridors and facing off against a boss at the end. The Sunwing is a part of the GEMINI Overrides Cauldron.
Interested in other machine guides in Horizon Forbidden West? Check out How to defeat the Slitherfang in Horizon Forbidden West on Pro Game Guides!