In Horizon Forbidden West, the Widemaw machine can be a formidable opponent. It has an attack that will allow it to suck players in with a vacuum mechanic and then shoot projectiles out causing massive amounts of damage. A great way to get an advantage in a battle with one of these machines is to take out their Vacuum Turbines. This will disable their vacuum attacks, saving players lots of HP in battle.
Strengths and Weaknesses
Players can attack machines with different kinds of elemental attacks. Elemental attacks in the game include Fire, Shock, Frost, Plasma, Purgewater, and Acid. The Widemaw will be weak to damage from Purgewater attacks. They are strong against damage from Frost, Fire, Shock, Acid, and Plasma attacks.
There are a few different body parts on a Widemaw but each one will drop different loot and deal different amounts of damage to the machine when attacked by players. The body parts on a Widemaw are:
- Vacuum Unit
- Purgewater Sac
- Vacuum Turbine
- Resource Container
Machines in Horizon Forbidden West will drop different loot items, with many being specific to each kind of machine. Some can be looted from a fallen machine, while others will need to be removed (shot off with an arrow or removes with a hit from the spear) while the machine is still alive. The Widemaw will drop a long list of loot items:
- Purgewater (Uncommon) - Dropped from Body and Purgewater Sac
- Metal Shards (Common) - Dropped from Body
- Machine Muscle (Uncommon) - Dropped from Body and Vacuum Turbine
- Widemaw Circulator* (Uncommon) - Dropped from Body
- Medium Machine Core (Rare) - Dropped from Body and Resource Container
- Braided Wire (Common) - Dropped from Body, Vacuum Turbine, and Resource Container
- Widemaw Primary Nerve* (Uncommon) - Dropped from Body, Vacuum Turbine, and Resource Container
- Sturdy Hardplate (Common) - Dropped from Body, Vacuum Turbine, and Resource Container
- Metal Bone (Rare) - Dropped from Body and Vacuum Turbine
- Widemaw Tusk* (Very Rare) - Dropped from Tusks
- Sparker (Common) - Dropped from Sparker
- Blastpaste (Rare) - Dropped from Resource Container
*Loot items marked with an asterisk are exclusively dropped from the Widemaw machine.
In Horizon Forbidden West, Cauldrons allow players to override the machines within that Cauldron once they have completed it. Completing a Cauldron usually means traversing through its dungeon-like corridors and facing off against a boss at the end. The Widemaw is a part of the MU Overrides Cauldron.
Interested in other machine guides in Horizon Forbidden West? Check out How to defeat the Slitherfang in Horizon Forbidden West on Pro Game Guides!