Our Apex Legends Gibraltar Guide will walk you through the ins-and-outs of this tank like Legend. We'll be going over his abilities and ultimate, as well as tips, tricks, shield health, skins, and featuring some wallpapers of the character!
Gibraltar is a strong character if you enjoy tankier options that allow you to eat some damage while dishing it out. His tactical ability gives you a way to protect your teammates and yourself while looting, reviving, or popping a heal!
Gibraltar Character Information
“Try to move me; it'll be fun.”
Gibraltar is a gentle giant with a wild side. The son of two SARAS (Search and Rescue Association of Solace) volunteers, he has always been skilled at getting others out of dangerous situations that are common in the Outlands. However, he only began to understand the value of protecting others when he and his boyfriend stole his father’s motorcycle, took it on a joyride, and got trapped by a deadly mudslide. His parents saved them, and his father lost an arm in the process. Gibraltar has never forgotten that sacrifice and has devoted his life to helping those in need.
The Apex Games didn’t change that, but they changed what it meant. Many of Gibraltar’s friends and colleagues have competed in the Games for extra money, fame, and glory over the years, and some never came home. Gibraltar joined to keep them safe and, for the first time, his skills as a rescuer and his rebellious nature worked together. He’s now become an icon in the Apex Games, putting himself in the line of fire to protect his squad and send his opponents running for cover.
Gibraltar's Voice Actor
Gibraltar is voiced by Branscombe Richmond!
Apex Legends Legend Guides Coverage
- Apex Legends Wraith Guide – Tips, Abilities, Skins, & How-to Get the Wraith Heirloom Set!
- Apex Legends Wattson Guide – Abilities List, Wallpapers
- Apex Legends Octane Guide – Abilities, Tips & Skins!
- Apex Legends Bangalore Guide – Tips, Abilities, & Skins!
- Apex Legends Bloodhound Guide – Tips, Abilities, & Skins!
- Apex Legends Pathfinder Guide – Tips, Abilities, & Skins!
- Apex Legends Mirage Guide – Tips, Abilities, Skins, & How-to Unlock!
- Apex Legends Caustic Guide – Tips, Abilities, Skins, & How-to Unlock!
- Apex Legends Lifeline Guide – Tips, Abilities, & Skins!
Tactical Ability: Dome of Protection
Throw down a dome-shield that blocks attacks for 15 seconds.
Think of this shield like Winston's in Overwatch. You can plop it down and it blocks all incoming damage for 15 seconds. This is a great defensive ability, but remember that you can't shoot outside of it. However, that doesn't meant you can't use it as a way to damage your enemies. You can run in and out of it firing while out and retreating to block the incoming fire.
One thing to note about this shield is that your enemies can use it for protection as well. You can't shoot through it at all, so be careful when placing this.
Passive Ability: Gun Shield
Aiming down sights deploys a gun shield that blocks incoming fire.
This is a pretty nice passive, and will be used quite often. You very rarely don't want to be shooting while aiming down the sights, and Gibraltar makes you even less likely to want to do that.
The shield makes Gibraltar a good option for sniping. You can take a shot and be protected from your enemies initial attempt to retaliate.
While the exact health of the shield is unknown, there's a visual indicator on your screen when it is enabled. As you take damage to the shield, you will notice the bars start to dwindle down. Once you've taken too much damage the shield will break and you will need to wait for it to recharge before it becomes usable again.
Ultimate Ability: Defensive Bombardment
Call in a concentrated mortar strike on a marked position.
This is very similar to Bangalore's ultimate in that it bombards a designated area based on what a flare was thrown. With Gibraltar's ultimate, you throw the flare and a circle will be displayed on the ground for what the strikes will take place. A bunch of mortars will then be called down on this circular area and deal damage to any enemies caught up in it.
The bombardment lasts quite a bit of time, so if you can keep your enemies cornered into it they will take quite a bit of damage.
Gibraltar Tips & Tricks
- Gibraltar is a big target which is one of his weaknesses. You need to make sure to utilize cover as much as possible to keep yourself from soaking up a ton of damage.
- Gibraltar is not slower than any of the other Legends when running normally. While it might appear that way, it has been proven that all movement speeds without any abilities used are the same.
- While Gibraltar has his shield ability when you aim down the sights it doesn't make him an unstoppable force. You still need to be sure to eliminate your targets quickly because the shield is limited and breaks rather quickly.
- Gibraltar can do well as a sniper because of the shield. While you are aiming, you basically get a free shot because the shield will protect you from incoming fire.
- Alternatively, you can also be a bit more aggressive and run a shotgun and SMG build because you can outlast an opponent due to the damage you absorb with the personal shield.
- Your tactical ability is great for throwing down over a teammate who needs to be revived, you need to heal, or when you need to grab some loot. It can also be good if you need to outlast an ultimate that drops damage on an area. You should also use this when resurrecting a teammate at a beacon.
- The thrown shield can also be used to make an escape. Throw it towards enemy fire to block it while you make your exit from the situation.
- Your ultimate is a bit on the slow side, so while it will occasionally do a chunk of damage to enemies in the area, it's mostly for zoning them out.
- Defensive Bombardment does not deal damage to your teammate. So, if you don't have your shield available, you can throw it on top of them to keep enemies at a distance.
- If you are searching for enemies you should be careful not to look down your sights. Your shield is bright and obvious and people will be able to spot it much more easily if they are looking for people.
- This is a very fringe thing, but you can place your dome shield on top of Lifeline's heal bot and it will stick to it. You can then push it around and move it if for some reason you found a useful reason to do this!
Let's take a look at some of the awesome skins available to Gibraltar!
We've got some wallpapers of Gibraltar so you can dress up your desktop! They are both 1920x1080 in size, you can click to enlarge them.