Genshin Impact has a unique combat system, where it utilizes different element types that can work together to destroy your enemies. Though the world of Teyvat is no doubt heavily inspired by Zelda: Breath of the Wild, the elemental system is more akin to Divinity: Original Sin, which is a turn-based tactical RPG. When elements combo together, they can create different effects than can massively damage enemies and cause other reactions that will inflict something new.
In Genshin Impact, there are 7 different types of elements:
- Anemo (Wind)
- Cryo (Frost)
- Dendro (Nature)
- Electro (Lightning)
- Geo (Earth)
- Hydro (Water)
- Pyro (Fire)
A more detailed explanation of what these elements cause can be found in our Genshin Impact: Elements guide!
Element Reactions: How to Activate all Combo Effects
When fighting, it's best to have a team of multiple different elements types as the effects of linking elemental combos together can cause massive damage to those inflicted by them.
- Reaction: Superconduct
- Activation - Cause Electro damage on a target inflicted by Cyro or vice versa.
- Effect - Deals AoE (Area of Effect) Cyro damage and reduces resistance by 50%.
- Reaction: Swirl
- Activation - Use Anemo skills around targets inflicted by Pyro, Hydro, Cyro, or Pyro.
- Effect - Spreads the chosen elemental effect using Swirl.
- Reaction: Overloaded
- Activation - Cause Electro damage on a target inflicted by Pyro or vice versa.
- Effect - Deals AoE Pyro damage.
- Reaction: Frozen
- Activation - Cause Cyro damage on a target inflicted by Hydro.
- Effect - Freezes the target, so they are unable to move for a certain amount of time.
- Reaction: Burning
- Activation - Cause Pyro damage on a target inflicted by Dendro.
- Effect - This inflicts the Pyro DoT (Damage of Time) to occur but at a much stronger level.
- Reaction: Electro-Charged
- Activation - Cause Electro damage on a target inflicted by Hydro or vice versa.
- Effect - Deals a % of Electro damage per second.
- Reaction: Shattered
- Activation - Attack Frozen enemy with a Heavy Attack - such as a Claymore attack or a Sword Plunge.
- Effect - Breaks the enemy out of Frozen and deals damage based on the character's level.
Credit to Sunmilk on Twitter for the chart shown above.
There are two amplified reactions in the game, which triggers two different effects to happen: this deals x2 or x1.5 the damage depending on the elements used. Three elements can only be used to make this occur; the elements are Pyro, Cryo, and Hydro.
- Reaction: Melt
- Activation - Causes Pyro damage on a target inflicted by Cryo or vice versa.
- Effect - This dispels both elements and deals x2 the damage if Pyro is the triggering element or 1.5 if it was Cryo.
The best possible outcome damage-wise is to inflict Cyro damage first and then cause Pyro damage, which will always trigger the x2 damage. Perfect for enemies that are almost dead!
- Reaction: Vaporize
- Activation - Causes Hydro damage on a target inflicted by Pyro or vice versa.
- Effect - This dispels both elements and deals x2 the damage if Hydro is the triggering element or 1.5 if it was Pyro.
For Vaporize, the leading element you should use first is Pyro, and then inflict Hydro damage to cause the x2 damage to occur!
Having multiple different elements in your party is a massive boon for combat, but they also cause passive buffs to occur as well. In the party of 4, having duplicate elements might seem like a bad thing, but it depends on your playstyle, as the passive buffs all differ from one another.
- Condition - Any 4 different elements in your party.
- Buff - Protective Canopy
- Effect - All Elemental Resistance +15%.
- Condition - 2 Geo characters in your party.
- Buff - Enduring Rock
- Effect - Increases resistance to combo interruption, and when protected by a shield, Attack Damage increases by 15%
- Condition - 2 Anemo characters in your party.
- Buff - Impetuous Winds
- Effect - Stamina Consumption decreases by -15%, Movement Speed increases by +10%, and Skill Cooldown Reduction decreased by +5%.
- Condition - 2 Cryo characters in your party.
- Buff - Shattering Ice
- Effect - Reduces the duration of Electro status by 40%. Increases the Critical Hit Chance against foes that are affected by Cryo by 15%
- Condition - 2 Hydro characters in your party.
- Buff - Soothing Water
- Effect - Reduces the duration of Pyro status by 40& and increases incoming healing by 30%.
- Condition - 2 Pyro characters in your party.
- Buff - Fervent Flames
- Effect - Reduces the duration of Cryo status by 40% and increases Attack Damage by 25%
- Condition - 2 Electro characters in your party.
- Buff - High Voltage
- Effect - Reduces the duration of Hydro status by 40%. Elemental Reactions - Superconduct, Electro-Charged, and Overloaded have a 50% chance to drop an Elemental Electro particle that reduces Skill Cooldown by 5 seconds.