Collecting evidence can be a lengthy process, as you'll have to bring out your Ouija boards, your cameras, thermometers, and a plethora of other equipment. You and your other investigators will slowly find this evidence and come to a sound conclusion as to what ghost type it is. That said, if you are wrong, prepare to die. There are 24 unique ghost types in Phasmophobia, and not a single one acts the same. Each has its own strengths and weaknesses.
Update: June 10, 2022
With the latest update, Cursed Possessions, a few ghosts have a new ability or a new passive to help you tell them apart, which is better than randomly guessing and hoping for the best with only two pieces of evidence. We've added the new abilities/passives below.
- Ghosts will now only use their physical form during hunts instead of their shadow or translucent forms.
- All ghost abilities have been adjusted to make them happen more often and more consistently.
All Phasmophobia Ghost Types
Truck Overhaul Update
- Strengths: Deogen constantly sense the living. You can run, but you can't hide.
- Weaknesses: Deogen require a lot of energy to form and will move very slowly.
- Strengths: The weaker their victims, the stronger the Moroi becomes.
- Weaknesses: Moroi suffer from hyperosmia, weakening them for longer periods.
- Strengths: Upon entering the location, Thaye will become active, defensive, and agile.
- Weaknesses: Thaye will weaken over time, making them less deadly, slower, and less aggressive.
Cursed Possessions Update
- Strengths: We're unsure what this ghost is capable of. Be careful.
- Weaknesses: Several reports have noted ghost orb sightings near mimics.
- Strengths: Extinguishing a flame can cause an Onyro to attack.
- Weaknesses: When threatened, this ghost is less likely to hunt.
- Strengths: When interacting with the environment, an Obake will rarely leave a trace.
- Weaknesses: Sometimes, this ghost will shapeshift behind unique eveidence.
- Strengths: A Raiju can siphon power from nearby electrical devices, making it faster.
- Weaknesses: Raiju are constantly distrupting electronic equipment, making it easier to track when attacking.
- Strengths: Either Twin can be angered and initiate an attack on their prey.
- Weaknesses: The Twins will often interact with the environment at the same time.
- Strengths: A Goryo will usually only show itself on camera if there are no players nearby.
- Weaknesses: They are rarely seen far from their place of death.
- Strengths: A Myling is known to be quieter when hunting.
- Weaknesses: Mylings more frequently make paranormal sounds.
- Strength: A Bandhsee will only raget one person at a time.
- Weakness: Banshees fear the crucific and will be less aggressive near one.
- New Cursed Possession ability/passive: The singing siren, luring ghost hunters near and far.
- Strength: Demons will initiate hunts more often than other ghosts.
- Weakness: Demons will take less sanity when answering through a Ouija Board.
- New Cursed Possession ability/passive: The most aggressive and dangerous ghost we’ve ever witnessed.
- Strengths: Lower temperatures allow the Hantu to move at faster speeds.
- Weaknesses: Hantus move slower in warmer areas.
- New Cursed Possession ability/passive: The cold has empowered these ghosts so much, and it’s starting to show.
- Strength: A Jinn will travel at a faster speed if its victim is far away.
- Weakness: Turning off the location's power source will prevent the Jinn from using its ability.
- New Cursed Possession ability/passive: These ghosts love to chase; hide before they see you.
- Strength: A Mare will have an increased chance to attack in the dark.
- Weakness: Turning the lights on around the Mare will lower its chance of attack.
- New Cursed Possession ability/passive: The thing that goes bump in the night, thriving in darkness.
- Strength: Onis are more active when players are nearby and have been seen moving objects at great speed.
- Weakness: Onis are very active, making them easier to find.
- New Cursed Possession ability/passive: New reports show many more sightings. Maybe these ghosts enjoy the fear in players' eyes.
- Strength: Looking at a Phantom will drop your sanity considerably faster.
- Weakness: Taking a photo of the Phantom will make it temporarily disappear.
- Strength: Poltergeists can throw multiple objects at once.
- Weakness: With nothing to throw, Poltergeists become powerless.
- New Cursed Possession ability/passive: The ghost that loves to throw things—watch out!
- Strength: A Revenant will travel at a signficantly faster speed when hunting their prey.
- Weakness: Hiding from the Revenanty will cause ot to move very slowly.
- Strength: Shades are much harder to find
- Weakness: The Ghost will not enter a hunt if there are multiple players nearby.
- New Cursed Possession ability/passive: The shy ghost, often hiding in plain sight, only showing itself when truly necessary.
- Strength: Doesn't have one.
- Weakness: A Spirit can be temporarily stopped by burning Smudge Sticks near them.
- Strength: Wraiths almost never touch the ground, meaning it can't be tracked by footsteps.
- Weakness: It reacts salt.
- Strength: Talking near a Yokai will anger it, increasing the chance of attack.
- Weakness: When hunting, a Yokai can only hear voices close to it.
- New Cursed Possession ability/passive: Be quiet, you wouldn’t want to wake it up.
- Strength: Players Sanity is affected more than usual.
- Weakness: Smudging the Yurei's place of death will trap it temporarily, reducing how much it wanders.
- New Cursed Possession ability/passive: Masters of insanity that make anyone who comes into contact with them crazy.