We're taking a detailed look at what's going to be changing in Fortnite Season 8!
We're taking a look at all of the currently known information for Season 8 of Fortnite! There are tons of new items, cosmetics, map changes, and a brand new theme that will leads us into the months ahead. We'll be adding challenge guides for each week of the battle pass until the final challenges are revealed!
Season 8 has been released! We've got pirates, volcanoes, canons, and a banana... The map has changed quite a bit and we've now got a big volcano where Tomato Temple used to be. We have new points of interest with Sunny Steps largely replacing Wailing Woods, and Lazy Lagoon replacing Lazy Links.
You can check out all of the Season 8 cosmetics on our Fortnite Season 8 Skins List!
Season 8 Challenge Guides
If you want to know what challenges are going on each week and how to solve them then check out our guides:
- Season 8 Week 1 Challenges Guide
- Season 8 Week 2 Challenges Guide
- Season 8 Week 3 Challenges Guide
- Season 8 Week 4 Challenges Guide
- Season 8 Week 5 Challenges Guide
- Season 8 Week 6 Challenges Guide
- Season 8 Week 7 Challenges Guide
- Season 8 Week 8 Challenges Guide
- Season 8 Week 9 Challenges Guide
- Season 8 Week 10 Challenges Guide
If you're looking for a list of the hidden items after you complete a week of challenges then check out our Fortnite Season 8 Secret Battle Stars Guide!
When Does Fortnite Season 8 Start?
Season 8 will start on February 28th, 2019. This is when we are expecting the release, but it's possible that delays could happen so the date could be pushed back a bit. If you're curious what time the battle pass will go live, here's a look at the general times that patches go live:
- UK: 9am (BST)
- Europe: 10am (CEST)
- USA: 4am (EDT), 1am (PDT)
What Does the Fortnite Season 8 Battle Pass Cost?
The good news about Season 8 is that you can get it for free! In Fortnite Season 7 there is an event called Overtime Challenges, and if you complete 13 of these you will get the Season 8 Battle Pass for free! The standard cost is 950 V-Bucks for the Battle Pass and 2,800 V-Bucks for the Battle Bundle (Battle Pass + 25 tiers). This ends up being $9.99 if you purchase V-Bucks from the store.
If you plan on grabbing that Season 8 Battle Pass then for sure make sure to do this Overtime Challenges!!! You don't need to have the Season 7 Battle Pass to complete them, and they really aren't that hard to do.
Fortnite Season 8 Patch Notes & Changes
A bunch of new stuff has been changed, and things have been altered. Let's take a look at it all below!
Map & Feature Additions
Lava & Volcanic Vents have been added as parts of the map. The Lava is not so great for you, so you'll want to avoid it because it deals damage each time you touch it. The Volcanic Vents are very good, however, and they boost you up into the sky making it convenient for travel! Party Assist is a new feature that can be used to help you complete challenges you might be struggling with.
- Added Lava
- Lava will deal 1 damage per touch and will cause players to bounce off the surface. Watch out!
- Added Volcanic Vents
- Volcanic Vents will boost players and vehicles into the sky in a gust of hot air!
- Party Assist Added
- Prior to a match, enable Party Assist on a Daily or Weekly challenge to complete it with the assistance of everyone in your party.
- Party members are able to provide progress to the selected challenge in addition to yourself.
- This functionality excludes "fill" players who are added into the party during matchmaking or teammates from large team modes such as Team Rumble.
- Increased Infinite Dab duration from 11 hours to 12 hours in the lobby.
- Cozy Campfire now glows while active when viewed through a Thermal Scope.
- Starting in Season 8, daily quests will be automatically claimed once they've been completed.
- Any Challenges that were ready to be collected will be auto completed and all rewards will be delivered. However, at this time there will be no in-game notification for you receiving these rewards.
Weapons & Item Additions + Vault Additions
The Pirate Cannon is a new addition to the game. It's kind of like a vehicle, it can be found on the map and can be moved around if you engage it from the rear. You can enter the cannon and fire yourself out of it. Your teammates can also enter the cannon and fire you out of it if they desire. You will break through objects when you've been shot, and if you directly hit an enemy it will deal 100 damage and enemies in the area will take 50 damage.
- Pirate Cannon
- Push the Cannon into position, take aim, and fire! Alternatively, climb into the barrel and launch yourself!
- The cannon will fire cannonballs or players a great distance. Cannonballs and players can plow through a number of objects before stopping with a bang, causing damage and knockback to nearby players.
- Deals 100 Damage to enemies on a direct hit and 50 Damage to enemies within a small radius.
- Found throughout the environment.
- Sneaky Snowman
- Chiller Grenade
- X-4 Stormwing
- Shopping Cart
- All Terrain Kart
- Updated Hunting Rifle Icon
- Reduced the availability of high tier Assault Rifles
- Total number of Assault Rifles available remains unchanged
- Increased chance of receiving a Common quality assault rifle from 48.56% to 56.30%
- Increased chance of receiving an Uncommon quality assault rifle from 26.83% to 28.15%
- Reduced the chance of receiving a Rare quality assault rifle from 16.17% to 10.91%
- Reduced the chance of receiving an Epic quality assault rifle from 7.02% to 3.52%
- Reduced the chance of receiving a Legendary quality assault rifle from 1.82% to 1.13%
What Teasers Have Been Released for Season 8?
Epic leads into each of the new season with teasers that display parts of the upcoming skins and give clues to what we'll be seeing. Here's a list of those teasers:
The first teaser is what looks to be some red hot flames with the silhouette of a traditional looking pirate's hook. There's been some speculation that the season will revolve around fire vs. water with the release of the Deep Sea Destroyer and the Deep Sea Dominator skins.
'X' Marks The Spot Treasure abound Loot that has been lost Can always be found. 4 days to Season 8. - Source
The second teaser shows more fire and flames and a creepy snake that looks like a cobra. Here's the description text:
Sssomething shimmers Within the cave... But beware of those Who arrive on waves. 3 days to Season 8. - Source
The third teaser looks like a tiger/cat sort of thing. Here's what was included with the post:
Awaken beasts Of fire and ash Battle it out And loot the stash. 2 days to Season 8. - Source
Explore the world Challenge your fate Unearth the secrets Adventure awaits. Season 8 starts tomorrow! - Source
If you put these teaser images together it appears that they end up making a skull. This could be the infamous skull and crossbones that represents pirates. It also appears that there's a volcano, so be on the look out for some explosive event to happen soon!
What is Fortnite Season 8's Theme?
While the theme isn't earthquakes, there's a ton of shaking going around on the map right now. This seems to be caused by The Prisoner skin casting some spell on the map and creating the unstable terrain that we've been seeing in the last couple of weeks.
— Fortnite News - fnbr.news (@FortniteBR) February 14, 2019
The earthquakes are spanning all throughout the northern and eastern parts of the map. I wouldn't be surprised to see big changes at Lazy Links, The Block, Tomato Temple, Lonely Lodge, and Wailing Woods. Here's a look at one of the cracks at Lazy Links, credit to iScenario on Twitter.
If you are curious when these earthquakes are going to happen and when the cracks will appear then check out this list of times that display all of the upcoming event items. Credit to ScrapMechanicKid on Reddit.
There's some other stuff of interest as well and this pertains to dragons! Dragon eggs were found in The Ice King's castle, but after the patch that unleashed The Prisoner onto the scene it appeared that they were missing. What does this mean? Well, it's hard to say, but don't be surprised to see some kind of Dragon make an impact on the map or game in the future. Credit to RunDavid on Reddit for the image.
You can even see the shape of a Dragon on the inside of the egg! These are no longer in place anymore, so we'll see what ends up happening with them.
Update: Based on the teasers, it's possible these were snake eggs. The shapes of the babies inside the eggs look a lot like the snake that was shown in the teasers.